Chickens wont go up at night!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenjoe23, May 10, 2011.

1. Chickenjoe23

Chickenjoe23 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Hey, I have 12 two month old chicks that are outside. I have coop and a run with a top but the chickens seem to want to stay outside all night. The just plop down where they are. how do I get them to go up in their coop at night
    thanks in advavnce.

2. Mandy1296

Mandy1296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Jasper Georgia
    I go out every night and count all mine. I do have to herd the young ones in ( very fun to do by yourself [​IMG]) for about a week. After that they get it and go all by themselves.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    You might need to show them. I would pick them up one by one and tuck them inside the pop door and I'll bet they get the idea after a few nights.

4. Chickenjoe23

Apr 3, 2011
    ok ive been doing that, this is my third night so hopefuly they will get it soon

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Or you can herd them into the coop. I use a long 1" white PVC pipe which they see easily and respond to instantly. No need to hurry as the operative word is "herd" and not drive. I start herding when I get tired of bending over, catching them, etc. one by one. At 6'4", there is a limit to how much bending and moving around on bended knee I do with chickens. They know what exactly to do by the third evening as a rule.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  6. Chickenjoe23

Apr 3, 2011
    My run is 9 feet tall so I dont have the crouching problem. If it starts to rain will the chickens be smart enough to go in?

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Mine take cover when they don't want to get wet. And I have seen them stand out in the rain, enjoying it. Late yesterday afternoon, we had a storm with wind driven rain almost horizontal rather than just down. I checked on them afterward. They were completely dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by