chickens wont lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Jul 22, 2015.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    HI I got 3 hens a month ago and they used to lay with there old owner and I saw them sitting and laying before I bought the but its been a month and still no eggs they do have rooster that mates with them everyday they are free ranged but sometimes let them in the run they get lots of daylight and calcium and nutrition I have a blue andalusian hen and white leg horn and a Cornish x . ps: the Cornish is always free ranged and running shes about 1 year old I cant belive shes still running

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. Allears

Allears Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Hope this helps :)

3. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    tanks but I already tried putting fake eggs and the andalusian hen sat on it but then took it out the next day because the Cornish x started pecking on it

4. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Wagoner, OK
    I bought 10 hens from a lady last year and had the same problem.
    1 got egg bound repeatedly and died.
    2 others died over time.
    1 laid regularly
    The other 6 never laid for me.
    Guess which one I still have.

5. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I guess its etheir one of the 6 or the one the 1 that lays but something tells me one of the 6 why did they die

6. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Wagoner, OK
    I still have the one that has laid all along.
    1 died from being repeatedly egg bound. I tried many times to save her, was eventually unsuccessful. No idea why the other 2 died. I gave the rest away.

7. cbjr61

cbjr61 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    i had 12 chickens laying 9 or 10 eggs a day one year old i brought 10 more chickens in also a year old im only getting 11 or 12 eggs aday its been about 2 weeks since i adde new chickens the new 10 chickens were in a8x8 barn never went out my chickens roam outside all day how long before the new ones adjust and start laying

8. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    It may take up to a month before they get going again as long as they are healthy.

I don't know where you are or what condition your new hens are in but I would think 10 hens in an 8x8 barn would not be in the best of shape. I'm guessing red bottoms and feather loss if not worse. Given their new surroundings, new available nutrient, and the time of year, they may just decide to go into molt.

9. sunnypj

sunnypj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2015
    Michigan
    HI, I would love to get more eggs. I feel your pain. ha ha I only have 2 hens and one lays an egg everyday. The other I have had for 3 months and has never laid an egg. I thought at first she was just getting used to the new home but I think she is kind of broody. I let her sit on a group of eggs from the other hen but she would sit for a few hours and then wander off and come back later. was doing this constantly and the eggs went bad.

So what should I do? she has the sweetest personality and not completely broody but not really contributing either. I am going to try separating her into the dog crate for a few days to try and break that broodiness. Have you tried that and if so, any success?

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If they free range, they could be laying someplace other than in the nest boxes. You may need to keep them confined in a run for a few weeks to 'train' them to lay in the boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by