Chickens won't lay eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeonKowal, Nov 23, 2011.

1. LeonKowal

LeonKowal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Brentsville Va
    Since early summer my hens have not layed any eggs. I have Red Comets and lost my roosters. I received two more roosters nd since then my hens have stopped laying eggs. Is this because I have to many roosters for the amount of hens? Five hens and two roosters. At one point I they did start laying for a few days but have stopped. Thanks for any information.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    2 roosters is too many for 5 hens - you should have at least 4 or 5 hens per rooster, but I don't think that's why your hens have stopped laying. Depending on where you live, it could be because of less daylight due to the season. How old are your hens?

4. LeonKowal

Jan 22, 2011
    Brentsville Va
    My hens are two years old. I live in Brentsville Va (close to Northern Va). I'll check out the link sent, thank you.

5. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Red Comets and other breeds created for production often lay very well for their first year but stop laying entirely much sooner than some breeds. They could just be too old to lay now [​IMG]

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Sounds like you need to re-stock the flock... If you have the room you can let the older birds stay, but most often it is better to bring in a new batch..

7. LeonKowal

Jan 22, 2011
    Brentsville Va
    Thanks all for information once again. Is there a certain breed that lays better than most?

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THe sex linked hens were developed for high production over a short lifespan. Other breeds may give fewer eggs per year over more years. Finding the breeds that produce for a long time (4-5 year) needs some good poultrymen in the know. Hope to see some concrete answers soon.

9. LeonKowal

Jan 22, 2011
    Brentsville Va
    I will be restocking my flock. I also hope to see an answer on the breed.
    Thanks again for eveyones input.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As others have said, production hybrids like stars will produce well for a year or two and then play out.
    Excellent laying heritage breeds are:
    Australorp
    Dominique
    Fayoumi
    Hamburg
    Leghorn
    Rhode Island Red

ETAI get lots of eggs from Anconas, Jaerhons and Minorcas too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by