Chickens wont lay eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ndawoods25, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ndawoods25

ndawoods25 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    I have about 27 or so chickens. About 12 from my original flock which is 4 years old. 5 that are 2 1/2 years old. And 10 that I bought as chicks last April. I may get 1-3 eggs a day and thats it. This has been like this for over a year now. The chicks I got last april hasnt even layed 1 egg at all. I have no idea what the problem is I have a coop that is 12x14 with plenty of roost, 5 nice size laying boxes. Always have feed and fresh water for them. My run is 25x50 with a covered top for the flying predators. All chickens look health. Cant fisgure it out. Anybody have any ideas??? thx Eddie

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    The original 12 in your flock that are 4 years old may well be approaching the end of their egg production.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good point. I wouldn't expect many eggs from the 4 year olds until after the winter solstice.

5. ndawoods25

ndawoods25 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    I have Rhode Island Reds, light brahmas, silver laced wyandottes, golden laced wyandottes, aracaunas, buff orphingtons, black sex link, and barred rocks. I dont expect much out of the 4 year olds but, the chicks I got last april havent laid yet and the 2 1/2 year olds arent producing either. Ventilation is good. I live in central Indiana. I have an artificial light that is on a timer to come on 3 hours before sunrise due to shorter days now.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  6. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

First thing is that your chicks may not lay for another month yet. I had a couple marans that didn't lay until they were 31 weeks. If your 2 1/2 yr olds are only laying 1-3 eggs a day for a year, then that's something to look at. The others at both ends of the age spectrum may very well be an age thing-too old / too young yet. Your 2 1/2 yr olds... have they ever been consistent layers?
    Have you dewormed your chickens and if so, with what and how long ago?
    What type of feed are they getting? Calcium?
    Have you checked closely for mites?

Just some thoughts I had that might help.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The 2 1/2 year olds are probably molting or coming out of molt too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by