Chickens won't lay

momaof3

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Hey everyone,
We are newbie chicken owners so we have a lot to learn. I just got 2 buff orpingtons,1 polish and 1 rooster from my sister 1 week ago today. 1 buff is about 2 y/o the other one is about 1 y/o and the polish is about 6 months old. We built a coop before we got them but once we put them in there I wanted to make changes to their coop and run area. We've been sawing,hammering and drilling making all kinds of noise. The good news is we are finally done. My chickens have not layed any eggs yet.I'm not to worried about the polish right now because she is still a little young. Could it be because we are making too much noise and we are stressing them out? Hopefully now that I wrote this post, I will find my first egg tomorrow. It always seems to happen like that with most things. lol

Nikki

The 2 year old is probably done laying altogether, and the 1 year old may be close to being done as well. Egg production declines after they molt ( about a year old). Although, The new environment and the noise is more than likely stressing them out, which may be keeping the younger one from laying. She's old enough to produce, so if a little more time passes and she's still not, I'd consider adding a rooster to motivate her a bit more.

I've had chickens for a couple years now. I don't think your chickens are done laying. They need time to adjust. The days are getting longer and they should start Lane in a while, it might take a bit but they will. They are not done yet. And they will lay eggs with or without a rooster.

Time, 1 crazy hectic loud week to try to adjust isn't going to help them settle in. Give them at least a few weeks to adjust before you start to worry

Ok Sis, the older hen is starting her 2nd laying season so that would make her about 1 1/2 and the younger one I just hatched out last Spring so she is just starting her 1st full laying season and is close to +/- 1 year. A buff orpington hen is no where near totally done at 2 years old! This is not a hybrid which tends to lay a lot of eggs early on in life. You will have many years of eggs from these girls and when they do start to lay fewer eggs, their eggs will get larger in size, they won't just stop laying. Y'all have been doing some serious renovating over there and Your new additions are gonna love it there :) 1 week is barely enough time for them to settle in without construction going on, so be patient and let the dust settle for at least another 2 weeks. Most all chickens need an adjustment period on average of a few days to a few weeks. Check back in another 2 weeks if the construction is finished for show & tell with your first eggs. And one more thing, a rooster has absolutely nothing to do with your hens laying eggs. They will lay regardless, just keep your plastic or ceramic eggs in their nesting box with a bit of privacy and they'll be laying soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom