chickens won't leave the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lescostes, Dec 7, 2008.

1. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    we just got our chickens last Monday, the first day we kept them in the coop/shed for the day to get them used to it. But now I can't get them to come out. Not unless I shoo them out. It has been rainy here, is that why? They seems to huddle in the corner. I've never had chickens before, so not sure what to expect. They are free-range chickens, the door goes open and they can wander around our 3 acres, our closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Thought maybe I'm feeding them too much, give 2 big handfuls of barley stuff and 2 big handfuls of pellets (would tell you the name of these but the farmer gave them to us and it's in french). I feed them in the am in the coop, maybe feeding them too much so why leave?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC!
    Sounds like they just need more time to get used to their new home.
    Just keep doing what you're doing, leave the door open during the day so they have the option. Sooner or later one brave soul will get up the courage to venture out and the others will soon follow.
    Good luck with your new flock.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When it rains (something extremely rare here) most of my girls stay in the coop. But my white rock LOVES the rain and she always stays out in it. Weird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by