chickens won't leave the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lescostes, Dec 7, 2008.

1. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    we just got our chickens last Monday, the first day we kept them in the coop/shed for the day to get them used to it. But now I can't get them to come out. Not unless I shoo them out. It has been rainy here, is that why? They seems to huddle in the corner. I've never had chickens before, so not sure what to expect. They are free-range chickens, the door goes open and they can wander around our 3 acres, our closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Thought maybe I'm feeding them too much, give 2 big handfuls of barley stuff and 2 big handfuls of pellets (would tell you the name of these but the farmer gave them to us and it's in french). I feed them in the am in the coop, maybe feeding them too much so why leave?

2. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Don't worry, they will come out when they are relaxed and curious. I think it takes time to get used to the new digs. I got my hens when they were 4-5 weeks old, and it took a few days before they would venture out. Now they love being outside. :)

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    This has to be a double posted thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by