1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens won't leave the coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sara1226, Nov 14, 2016.

1. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have a flock of 18, and more recently I saved a rooster from being killed by his previous owner because he breeds show birds and apparently my rooster had the wrong color ear lobes. So I put this new rooster (Ziggy) in with my two Nigerian dwarf goats. They have a large shed to go in and a pen enclosed by a chain link fence. I decided to get Ziggy some girl friends, but it's driving me crazy because they won't leave the shed! It's NOT because they are afraid of the goats, because they will walk right up to them and pick hay peices off of their faces and backs. Haha. It's also not because they are broody, because they are only 4 months old.

I did notice them sneezing a little, but it seems to be improving with some vitamins and probiotics. I've had the pullets for 1 week now. When I chase them out of the shed they do act normal, they peck around for awhile and follow Ziggy around, but then after just a few minutes it's right back to the shed again! Ugh!

Do they not feel safe on the outside? Are they still settling in? Are they not healthy? Are they cold intolerant? One is a Phoenix, one is a bantam game hen, and one is 1/2 Phoenix 1/2 cubalaya.

Can anyone please help me figure this out?
    I sure would appreciate it.

2. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    This is them. [​IMG]

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Is the top of there run covered there could be a hawk or owl stalking them making them scared.Tylan 50 is used for respiratory problems in chickens it would be advised to use that if symptoms got worse

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Those are all possibilities. Weather, predators. settling in... [​IMG] I guess I'm not much help.

So you didn't take girls from your own flock of 18 to make his girlfriends? And those are new?

My birds all clear the fence and help themselves in and out of the goat barn.

They are very pretty. [​IMG]

5. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you both for the replies! The goat/chicken pen has poultry netting over the top. Is it possible they don't feel like that's enough coverage overhead? I have plastic and some tarps up around the sides of the pen to reduce wind draft and help keep some snow out.
    Maybe when the wind blows and the tarps are flapping around the sound scares them. Gosh I am so stumped here!

I didn't take any hens out of my exsisting flock for Ziggy because my flock of 18 has 2 Roos, so I couldn't take any away from there. Plus it is a well established flock, they all get along great and are happy and healthy so I didn't want to disrupt that in any way.

Does anyone know if these breeds tend to not be cold Hardy and maybe that's why they stay inside where it's warm?

I sure do love this guy. I can tell he wants to come out, he does more than the two new girls and when they are inside he sits by the door like "cmon lets go!!"

[​IMG]
    R

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The most common problem of chickens not leaving their coop is usually because of predators.Could that be a problem were you are Fox,Minks ect.

7. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin

Nothing that I've seen. There's an annoying little bird that runs down a tree near by and gets into the run to look for food. But it's so small it fits through the holes in the poultry netting. I'm talking like a little finch or something. Would that bother them?

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No i don't think so.The tarp is what comes to mind i heard that someones chicken had a heart attack and died because a tarp got loose and blew off.Maybe you can poke a hole through the tarp and wrap something around the rings to prevent flapping

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No. No. No. They are not afraid. They are being cautious. This is typical for chickens moving to a new home. They are barely getting used to the coop. Don't be in such a rush to force them outdoors! They will start stepping outside when they feel ready.

Yes, on the flapping noises the tarp makes when the wind blows. That's off putting to chickens, especially in an unfamiliar new home. If you can fasten it down so it doesn't make so much noise, it will help the situation. Or get some rigid plastic panels that you can fasten to your run fence as a wind break. They make no noise because they won't flap in the wind. Plastic sheeting can rip loose and behave like a giant monster sail flying free, and it could cause such fear as to cause a heart attack in a vulnerable chicken.

As far as the open run goes, yes, that could be a factor. If you can make a solid roof over the entrance to the coop, that will certainly help your new flock gain self confidence. Chickens know very well that they are prey and they feel vulnerable when there is nothing between them and the open sky. Even a small shelter just beyond the coop would help. Chickens need relief from the stress of constantly having to watch for danger overhead. They need cover, or they will use the coop for that purpose.

1 person likes this.
  10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sorry just read she got them a week ago.I thought she had them for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by