Chickens won't leave the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KaOsFarm, Oct 17, 2017.

1. KaOsFarm

KaOsFarm In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2017
    New Hampshire
    I only have 4 chickens right now and only my rooster is coming out at all. I opened the coop door yesterday and noticed that they were still roosting when I got home. The same thing happened today. I checked them over and they all are appearing healthy they just don't look like they want to come out. They came out with some coaxing tonight. They are about 6 months and haven't started laying yet.
    We have had a serious drop in temperature these last couple day but it warms up during the day.

penny1960 likes this.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is the cockerel harassing them when they come out ? Young cockerels become or want to become sexually active far earlier than the pullets.

aart, penny1960 and SeaPolka like this.
  3. KaOsFarm

KaOsFarm In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2017
    New Hampshire
    I haven't noticed anything extremely brutal from him but he has been intimidating them a little bit.

penny1960 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long have you had these birds?

While you were at work all day....are you sure they hadn't been outside while you were gone?

5. KaOsFarm

KaOsFarm In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2017
    New Hampshire
    I suppose they could have gone out during the day. I've never seen them do this tho. I stopped by halfway through the day and they were in as well.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My first consideration would be a predator is scaring them. Next, I'd be looking at your cockerel's behavior. If he's jumping at them, or chasing them every time they come out, they may be staying in the more confined coop to avoid him. finally, where is their food and water? If they are staying cooped, and feed and water are outside, you've got a problem

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Really hard to say whats going on.

How long have you had these birds?

8. KaOsFarm

KaOsFarm In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2017
    New Hampshire
    I do typically leave food and water outside but I have been bringing it inside now that they are doing this. Is there anything I can do to fix my roos behavior?

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Separate him from them. He's technically a cockerel until he's a year old. Big difference in behavior. They mature faster than their pullet siblings, so are sexually aggressive.

10. KaOsFarm

KaOsFarm In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Now that you mention it they have done this before once an animal got into the coop and took a couple of them. That was before I got the roo. They don't look frightened as they were then but I opened one if the large doors on the coop yesterday afternoon and one of the hens flew out of the coop literally screaming almost and landed a couple feet away.
    I have had the hens since May 3rd and the roo for a month. I haven't had a predator problem since I got him as far as I know. I have looked at his behavior a little and he doesn't look agressive towards them too much but he is definitely pushy.
    It's only once I open on of the large side doors that they come out. I did that this morning and they all came out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by