Chickens wont leave the Coop

TipperaryChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2019
Hi all
Im new to keeping chickens. I collected 4 ready to lay hens at the weekend, I put them into the run at first (I read later it was probably best to put them in coop at the start to get used to new home).

They seemed to be fine all day, eating well, didnt pay any heed to our cats checking them out. That night they made no attempt to go up the ladder into the coop so I had to pick them up and put them in.
They havent come out since, most of them are huddled up in the 2 nest boxes most of the time. I put in food and water and they seem to be eating that. I put some treats around the door to coax them out but they didnt touch it.
Its now been 2 days, any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• RES.jpg
    RES.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 16
First off, I must confess, it's your username that drew me to this thread, not the topic. I live in Co Tipperary, Ireland :) Now, since I'm here... Your hens are a bit spooked by the new coop, new home, new everything. So they are going to need a day or three to feel comfortable enough to freely come and go, use the run, the coop for roosting, lay eggs, etc. I got a load of battery hens a few years ago and the poor things didn't leave the coop for nearly 10 days! If they are eating, drinking and behaving normally otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Just give them time and keep encouraging them to make full use of their space.

Agree with @sumi 100%! That's exactly what's going on here. Just keep doing what you're doing, and once they're used to their new environment they'll relax and come out.

eta: Just don't try to spend too much time with them right away. It will elongate the process. Feed them, water them, leave them be to figure out what's going on on their own.

First off, I must confess, it's your username that drew me to this thread, not the topic. I live in Co Tipperary, Ireland :) Now, since I'm here... Your hens are a bit spooked by the new coop, new home, new everything. So they are going to need a day or three to feel comfortable enough to freely come and go, use the run, the coop for roosting, lay eggs, etc. I got a load of battery hens a few years ago and the poor things didn't leave the coop for nearly 10 days! If they are eating, drinking and behaving normally otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Just give them time and keep encouraging them to make full use of their space.
:goodpost:

Mine were kept in the coop until the run was done. When I opened the door they wouldn't go out. Every now and then I put one on the ramp, and she'd go right back in the coop. Eventually I got one to go out, and the rest immediately followed.

Give them time to learn that the coop is home, and then they'll go exploring.

It's spring over here. 61F yesterday. Trees are blooming, flowers everywhere. I don't know what happened to winter.
How interesting, as you are at more northern latitude(52°) than we are(42°),
still snow on the ground here and only 15°F today.

Thanks Sumi, thats crazy you are in Tipperary too! I didnt think there's be too many from Ireland, let alone Tipp.
My wife just send me a pic of 2 of the chickens making thier way down the ramp so all going good so far, thanks for your reply

Back
Top Bottom