Chickens won't perch in New barn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GhostGirlShannon, Jul 14, 2019 at 7:21 AM.

1. GhostGirlShannon

GhostGirlShannon In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2018
    Hello, we constructed a new Chicken Barn and it's very spacious with everything they could possibly want. The chickens refused to sit on the natural perch that my husband built. They prefer to huddle on the floor covered with pine chips.

Why would they do this it's been about 5 days and they're still not comfortable sleeping on the perch at night? I am attaching a photograph of one of my chickens that was checking out the coupe when it was first built, we placed her on the perch and she looked around. But the chickens will not go up there voluntarily.

Attached Files:

DobieLover likes this.
  2. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Did they used to perch in their old coop?

3. GhostGirlShannon

GhostGirlShannon In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2018
    Yes they did it was just a two-by-four piece of wood, this one is actually better

4. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Well, it may be "better", but it all comes down to if they like it or not. I'd try just doing another 2x4 and see if they prefer that. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

If they won't sit on the 2x4 either then there's probably something else going on.

Are there windows at the same height as the new roost? Could the wind blow on them at night if they're up there?

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Chickens HATE change.
    You changed a lot with the new coop. It is likely in a different location, different size, different roost material, likely different orientation.
    How old are they? Give them time and they will eventually acclimate to their new coop and roost.
    Wind blowing on them at night at this time of year would be a huge bonus. They look to keep cool and fans or a good breeze help with that.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Elevate entire roost setup by a foot or two. Make certain the barn does not get dark to fast. I wonder if floor pattern makes them feel like roosting up even when on ground.

I would follow them in at roosting time or sit in there on a chair to observe what is going on during the roost site selection process.

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I agree with making it higher up and you will probably need to space them out a little more...you can see her back end hitting the top perch. The top perch is too close to the wall too.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    rosemarythyme likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Height is fine, higher than nests....but yes, spacing is not good. 12" from wall and from other roost.
    I'd give them time and/or go in well after dark and put them on the roosts.

rosemarythyme and Texas Kiki like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: