Chickens wont roost on the perch!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coachwife2004, Apr 20, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    Well not one of my five cochins will roost! I dont get it they all line up agaist the coop wall?? could the perch be too big?[​IMG] Also should I be worried about my potted plants, they include hydrangeas and strawberries??[​IMG]

2. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Hhmmm... don't know about that, maybe just getting acquainted with the setup? If nothing else, maybe someone with Cochin wisdom will help you soon. Good luck! (I know Silkies don't usually roost, maybe your Cochins have Silkie blood?!)

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    How high is the roost? I use a ladder style that goes up to a platform of roosts. That way all can roost at the same height. The bottom rung of the ladder is only a few inches off the ground. Too low for the cochins to walk under it. The platform is 2ft above the ground in the bantam house and 3' in the standard cochin house.

Chickens love potted plants and that nice lose soil that they can dig out so easily.

Matt

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. chickadee2

chickadee2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    There could be a draft up where the perch is located. My chickens snubbed their roost until I decreased their ventilation.[​IMG]

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

...and some are slow to roost. I gave my pullets 4x4's on the coop floor until they began to use the ramp and roosts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by