Chickens won't roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CheekyChicky44, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CheekyChicky44

CheekyChicky44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Okay my girls won’t perch at night. It will be dark out, and I look out and I see six little yellow legs pointing at me, from their run. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am not sure why they are doing that. They used to go in there by themselves and now I have to usher them in and they complain about it. Little about the coup: a ramp leads up into it and it contains two roosts and a light for cold nights. Any ideas? Just curious. Thank you.

2. pokemonshop

pokemonshop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    The chickens don't have to roost, they sometimes don't like it. One of my chickens is to fat to fly up on the roost he is fine and has no change whatsoever [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Gosh, who can know the mind of a chicken??? I try [​IMG] with little success. How old are they & how long have they been living in the coop? What kind of roost materials are you using. Mine HATED a 1 1/2" dowel, so I changed it to a 2x4 in the coop. Now they use it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Do they need a ladder for the roosts?
    Are there rodents?
    I might not have a light on, maybe they are
    sleepy!?![​IMG]

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    try turning the light on before it gets dark, and maybe they'll go in where the light is?

or feed them in there, just before bedtime. maybe a special treat. mine absolutely LOVE cinnamon graham crackers. [​IMG]

i used the crackers when i first started letting my dorkings (gotten as adults) free range, to encourage them to go to bed a bit early... that way i made sure they weren't trying to squeeze into the bantam house. LOL the big guy does go in it, and then there's no room for anyone else practically! (then again he does take up one entire roost, and part of the next one...)

6. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:....'a light for cold nights'......maybe it's too warm.....or too light......?

7. CheekyChicky44

CheekyChicky44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks for the replies. I have been feeding them in their lately thinking that they were still hungry so I will probably leave them that options. I think maybe too that the light is disrupting their sleep. We have had it on to keep them laying as well as keeping them warm, about an extra hour a night. It’s getting dark around here around five now. Any suggestions on proper lighting? I could use some to keep them laying and roosting. [​IMG] Also, rodents: I have noticed droppings on the outside next to the rodent proof barrel we keep their food in. I have kept an eye out for droppings because of the change in weather, and haven't seen any in the run or roost (both are reinforced with hardware wire and I haven’t noticed any gaps larger than 1/4 inch.) If there are rodents on the outside, how can I get rid of them?

8. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    My girls and boy only have food in the coop!
    Treats are a different story!

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I set a light on a timer on at 5:00 AM and off by 5:00 PM. 12-14 hrs is plenty for winter laying. The light needs to go off by dusk so they can see to get on their roosts before dark.

10. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:Just curious, can you turn the light off early? Say, 9:00am?
    The sun is up by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by