Chickens won't sit on eggs because they're from the feed store??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerWife, Jan 1, 2014.

1. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Hello everyone!
    Happy New Year ! I have a question for anyone who can help me. Last spring, I had high hopes for baby chicks, but my chickens will NOT sit on their eggs. I was told that they wouldn't because they were feed store chicks, is this true?? I'm wanting to try again this spring when it warms up, but if this is the case, I may have to try and find someone with chickens who were not purchased at the feed store. Can someone help?? Thanks !

Blessings to you all!
    Dianna

2. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Where you got them doesn't matter as much as what breed they are. What breed do you have?

3. FarmerWife

Oct 27, 2010
    Reds, Barred Rocks, and not sure what you call the white hens, leg horns I think. One banty, used to have two, but the other was killed by a hawk. So do these breeds usually not lay on their eggs? Thanks!

Dianna

4. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    No, not likely. They're bred to lay lots of eggs, not to sit on them. Get yourself a couple Cochins or Silkies, then you will have a broody.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    They aren't terribly broody breeds but they can. Hatchery birds really don't have anything to do with it. I have a Russian Orloff (seldom broody) from a hatchery that is patiently sitting on 2 golfballs right now. Pick up a broody hen and let her sit on an assortment of eggs when you're ready.

6. FarmerWife

Oct 27, 2010
    Ok, will see if I can find some here, thank so much !

Dianna

7. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I have had two of my RIR hens go broody, but they were terrible mothers, they gave up before the eggs even hatched.

8. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Buff Orpingtons will usually have a broody hen in every flock of 5 or 6. A buddy of mine has a flock of 12 Buffs and just had two go broody and sucessfully hatch 15 chicks apiece. Now next spring he is going to have so many some of them will have to find new homes. Dad was a Rhode Island Red Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by