Chickens wont sleep at night.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kylen2007, Mar 22, 2015.

1. kylen2007

kylen2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    I have 6 ameraucanas and 6 jersey giants. Both are just shy of 3 weeks old. Because of my dogs the safest place for my brooder was in my bedroom closet. Only problem is the ameraucanas are up at all hours pecking and chirping. They flap wings and argue. They typically lay down around 8 but wake up for 1230-sometimes almost 2 doing chicken stuff. Then they will settle back down and start back up again from 4-530ish. Im a very light sleeper and have two little ones so i hear screaming (or squaking) i pounce out of bed. Any suggestions how to get them to sleep at night? I have a red heat lamp. Its supposed to be 28 tonight so its still too cold to turn it off.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Sorry but that's just what chicks do.

3. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Joy! I guess i only have a few kore weeks and they can go to the coop :)

4. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Yea not too sure what you can do, that's just what baby chicks do. They are almost like infants. They sleep a lot but not really in long spurts. You could try laying a towle over the brooder to make it dark that might help.

5. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Find another closet, they are going to be up and down all night regardless of where they are...

6. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. ahchick1

ahchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Duvall
    The chicks we've raised using the Brinsea Ecoglow brooder/heater have slept through the night great. If you're using a heat lamp, I think they just can't get the idea of day and night and sleeping through the night. That heating pad looks like a great idea too.

8. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    I use the heater plate too, and the chicks act like it is a mother hen and sleep under there all the time. I have to wake them up every 2 hours to eat and drink, and they are doing great.

I also put them in the bathroom in a large long plastic container in the bathtub. Perfect place. Cats cant get to them, it is warmer in there, and no one can hear them if they are making a loud noise! Plus, if for some reason one of them fly out of the brooder, they are safer in there. I have a large galvanized cage in the garage that is 3 feet by 4 feet that I will move them to once they are 2 weeks old. It is just still too cold to put them out in the garage and the plate cannot be used it is gets lower than 55 outside.

9. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone! I will have to look into the plates. Unfortunately i have an open floor plan and the only other closet is my kids. The chicks are so darn cute I dont trust them not to mess with them. I could do my laundry room but it is off of the garage and doesnt stay as warm as the rest of the house.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Absolutely silent all night long, and have been since they were only one day old. When the lights go off they sleep, period. When the lights came on, they were up, eating, chirping, and drinking, just as happy as could be. On the thread that dpenning linked you to, there is a video of my chicks using Mama Heating Pad...I think it's on the 3rd or 4th page.

Thank you for adding that link, dpenning!

Edited to add the video...this is the sound of 11 chicks in the house. I moved them outside either the next day or the day after that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by