Chickens won't sleep in coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamato8chicks, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mamato8chicks

mamato8chicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Hey y'all! We got our 'Chic-Inn' set up and last night was the first night our chickens stayed outside. But they didn't slee in the coop but underneath the ramp leading to the coop. Any suggestions on how to get them in the coop?!? We are located in GA so it's not cold cold, but it got down to about 50• last night. They are fully feathered but I still worry. Any suggestions help. Thank you so much!!

[​IMG]

The screens are temporary and so are the smaller feeders. Getting some PVC pipe and other materials today

[​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    You may have to pick them up and put them in a time or two. Or three.... They will get used to going in. There are numerous forums re this issue, you might want to look up how it worked out for others...
    Good luck!

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    On all the birds I've started, I have put them in the coop and blocked off the entrance for a few days. They were never allowed out. They would stand at the door and look out, but were not allowed out. That reinforces / establishes the notion for them that this is the "home" they return to at night. That seems to be required for them even when "home" is only a few feet away.

So try putting them inside and leaving them inside for at least 2 daylight / nite time cycles and then take down the barrier (chicken wire is OK for this).

If you are going to put 8 birds in that house, how much ventilation and light is there? In the summer, they may refuse to go in there if it's too hot and stuffy. When choosing a place to sleep at night, they will vote with their feet.

4. mamato8chicks

mamato8chicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017

It is well ventilated, and positioned in a place that gets a good amount of shade at the hottest part of the day. We also put pine shavings and plenty of roosting perches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by