Chickens won't sleep in coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MelandDadchix, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MelandDadchix

MelandDadchix New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Williamsburg, VA
    I am a new and proud father of 6 chickens that my daughter has "forced" me to adopt. I have just introduced them to their outside coop and run after about a month in my garage living in a plastic baby pool. For some reason they have decided to sleep in the dirt under the coop instead of inside of it. Should I lock them in the coop at night? Should I block off the area under the coop? Should I super glue their tiny feet to the roosting bars? (JUST KIDDING) Thanks for any suggestions. [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]You could put them in the coop at night for a few days so they get the idea. Also I would temporarily fence off the area under the coop and see if they get the message. They would be safer in their coop at night, instead of being outside with lots of night predators.

3. buffswiger

buffswiger Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    Eastern Ky
    I kept mine in their coop for a week with food and water..then let them out in the run after. It done the trick....[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MelandDadChix, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I concur with the above two posters. Good luck to you!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined us!

7. Welcome To BYC glad you joined us! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]