Chickens won't sleep in coop

Tonydesu

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
We have three chickens and have built them a very nice coop and run with more than enough space in both. Every since we purchased the chickens as pullets back in the beginning of June they have slept outside. Neither wind, rain or any kind of weather entices them into the coop at night. They do go into the coop during the heat of the day. They also started roosting periodically, again mostly during the day.

Now that winter is getting closer I am concerned about them sleeping outside. Even in the rain they all huddle together in the corner of the run (not even the covered corner).

Do I need to start locking them up in the coop at night and letting them out in the morning until they get used to it? When if finally gets cold enough (we have had a few nights in the upper 30's already) will they move to the coop?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Tony D.

They might move into the coop but they might not so I would lock them in the coop for a week at night then give them the choice the next day. If they stay out then do it again. That way they will learn.

Back
Top Bottom