Chickens won't sleep in house/chicken won't go to bed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by alicexx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. alicexx

alicexx Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Queensland, Australia
    Hello everyone I'm hoping you can help, I had 2 9 week old babie frizzle x wyandottle ( they were so cute [​IMG])
    A snake got into there sectioned off part of the house and killed them ( couldn't eat them as it was to small)
    We have 3 hens and a rooster who now won't sleep in the house part of there coop, they are only sleeping in the metal part, where they fight for space, as the brown one wants to be on the top with the roo and top hen ( the white ones) so she gets pecked all night.

I also have to carry the brown one to bed as she panics her self trying to get into our house as it's getting dusk.

We have cleaned the house,new hemp bedding down, and I even have a night light in there.
    What else can I do [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Well possibly there are some really brilliant ideas out there, but if it was me, what I would do is catch them all and put them in the coop where you want them and lock them in for about a week. That would reassure them that it's safe now.

Sometimes, it can be easier to catch chickens at night when they are roosting, but if they are trusting and you can lure them in there with treats that would be better... then, while they are enjoying the treats, shut the door.

They may need to learn all over again that the coop is their home. I can't blame them one bit for being nervous about it, but if they are locked in the coop you might be able to spend some quality time with them too, so it could be a really positive experience for all.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Hard to say from a distance, but it may be possible they are voting with their feet. They may actually prefer the wide open space and ventilation of the metal coop to the closed up and not so well lit and ventilated wooden one.

Another point you mention is they want to roost at the same level. The same issue happens with the ladder style roosts........most birds will make for the top rung on the ladder. So to avoid the fights, make all roosts the same level.

4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I would say your set up is way too small for even the amount of chickens you have left. If I was them I wouldn't want to sleep on the bottom rung either. Are you sure their coop is snake proof?

5. alicexx

alicexx Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Queensland, Australia
    I would say 99% snake proof, one could always get inside during the day, but we check every night.
    The cages are small brown one 3.6 feet x 2 feet
    Metal one 4.9 feet long x 2 feet wide metal one is 5.2 foot high.
    Does this sound big enough for 3 hens and a rooster?
    Also I'm in Australia so coming into our summer that's why there's snakes

6. alicexx

alicexx Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Queensland, Australia
    Thankyou! I will think of another way to make one big roost,
    My cages are only temporary if every one can survive the summer I will invest in a nice big house for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by