Chickens wont sleep

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmadame, Jun 24, 2011.

1. chickenmadame

chickenmadame Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I check the coop nightly and my chickens wont roost, they just pile on top of each other in the nesting boxes! Whats up with that?

2. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:Mine either. They are 16 weeks old and still won't roost, pile on top of each other and now they stopped going in there coop at night so I have to turn on a light in the coop and shoo them in with a spot light. Don't know what's up with mine. Wish they would just get the hang of things. Lol

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:Mine either. They are 16 weeks old and still won't roost, pile on top of each other and now they stopped going in there coop at night so I have to turn on a light in the coop and shoo them in with a spot light. Don't know what's up with mine. Wish they would just get the hang of things. Lol

Have you tried putting them on their roosts then turn off the light and just stay with them till they calm down. Once they are on the roosts in the dark they will not come down. They should figure it out after a couple of nights. Make sure you have a flashlight so you can get back out. Cover the flashlight's lens so you have only enough light to see your way out. Worked for the 3 slow learners we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by