Chickens wont start laying after molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CinnamonQueen12, Nov 29, 2012.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I have 2 black australorps, 2 barred rocks, and 2 ameraucanas that have finished molting months ago, but will not lay. Our golden buffs, rhode island red, and wyandotte bantam are laying almost every day, but the others havn't laid an egg since maybe late september, early october. All chickens have a thick fluffy coat of brand new feathers, so I can't understand why they won't lay. I'm wondering if it is because they are slightly overweight? We started giving our chickens a mix of oatmeal, garlic, and layer feed on occasion, and they get scratch and sunflower seeds almost every day. One of the black australorps is so plump, if we were planning on ever eating our girls, she would feed us for days!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Older hens often take a break during the winter months. They need 14-16 hours of daylight to be productive, and here we are pushing 9 hours of sunlight. All of my older hens have stopped laying. I do not provide extra light, as I feel like this break is essential.

If your hens are specifically for eggs and will be replaced often - go ahead and light the coop for a few extra hours every morning. :)

3. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Their actuaaly more like pets [​IMG] We love our chickens! We were just slightly worried that we were overfeeding them or something. Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about how old our girls are getting!

4. aoxa

They're just taking a break :) It's natural for them to do so.

If they are pets, let them take the break. It's healthier for them IMO.

Why you shouldn't light your coop in the winter.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, and once they grow their feathers back in, they also need to get their body weight back up to a sustainable level. You will know they are getting close to laying again when their combs turn from pale back to bright red.

6. aoxa

:thumbsup

And all of my birds are molting NOW. I missed the contest.. :( lol

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It ended already? Wow, that was fast. Post pictures of them on my molting thread anyway - I like to see them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by