1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens won't stop pecking roosters legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beth2502, Sep 13, 2016.

1. beth2502

beth2502 New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    My hens keep pecking my roosters legs until they bleed. I've separated him (for weeks) until he looks healed and as soon as he is back with the hens they start pecking the legs again until they bleed. I've used blue kote and they still peck. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

do you keep him separated until the scabs are gone? chickens will peck at anything that looks like blood

3. beth2502

beth2502 New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    Yes, he's separated for weeks until he looks totally healed and as soon as he's back with the hens they start in again. No scabs or mites no scaly spots. No clue what they're after but they're driving him crazy.

4. Poultry parent

hmm, i don't know why they would do that

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is he feather footed?
    Any photos?
    How old is the rooster?

I agree with @Poultry parent not sure why they are just pecking at the legs.

6. chickymonkey

chickymonkey Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Our hens are pecking at our roo's feet also. He's feather footed. At first it looked like he was bleeding because they pulled the feathers out. We culled him within sight and he stops bleeding, then at night he goes to sleep with the hens. The next day he's nailing hens and they eat etc then at some point the girls bloody his feet again. We've been going through this for a week now. Only started separating him from them in the day time for 3 or 4 days. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Are they eating the feathers they pluck from him?
    Only thing I can think of is they may need extra protein. You can offer an all flock/flock raiser type feed that is higher in protein or add protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat to their diet.
    Also provide some poultry vitamins in their water at least once a week to see if that helps.

I just guessing here, but if they have found they can draw blood easily by picking those feathers out, then they will continue to do so. Chickens like blood. See if a change in diet makes any difference. If not you may want to watch to see who initially starts the picking and separate her. You may have one hen that starts it, then the other join in (flock mentality).

1 person likes this.
  8. Poultry parent

when my chickens are molting they need extra protein so i scramble, and fry eggs for them, now they go searching through scraps for the yolks!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by