Chickens won't stop sleeping on top of nesting box outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ckwwilson, Jul 8, 2016.

1. ckwwilson

ckwwilson New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    We've had a pair of barred rock hens for several months and free range them in our backyard. Two weeks ago one showed the physical signs of getting ready to lay so I added a nesting box onto the coop that they've slept in for months. That night they decided to fly up and lie down on top of the new nesting box instead of going into their coop. I put them inside of the coop and closed them in for the night. I let them out to free range the following morning. Next night same thing...and every night since. The more mature of the 2 layed her first egg in her nesting box while locked in there 2 nights ago. I have a few wooden eggs in the box to help them know where to lay and it seemed to work at first. Tonight I went out shortly after dark to check on them and as usual they were on top of their nesting box outside. It looks like she laid an egg on top as there was egg remnants on the top and lying o n the ground below the box.

I have no idea what to do. Any ideas out there about how to get them to start sleeping inside like the good old days before I installed the nesting box? I at least need them to be laying their eggs inside...

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Could you put the nest box in the coop? If so, place it lower than your roost.

Ct

1 person likes this.
  3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Not sure about your temps in your area, barred rocks are on heavy breed. Now that the temps here are climbing to upper 80s and 90's my barred rocks are panting and prefers outside roost and the roost closer to windows.

1 person likes this.
  4. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Make sure you've got good ventilation in the coop and then put something on the nest boxes to stop them from roosting there. A small section of chicken wire bowed up and over the top in an arch should do the trick. Or a piece of lumber angled so there is no flat surface for them to sit on.

1 person likes this.
  5. ckwwilson

ckwwilson New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    So we ended up putting some bird net across the top of it strung up to the roof of the coop so that they can't land up there.

It is hot here in Boise Idaho, 80's this week but 100'she last week. We have a well ventilated coop with an open front and raised roof that allows air through also. Here's a few pics of what I did and I'll update tonight once we see if it works!

Thanks all!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. ckwwilson

ckwwilson New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Well...the bird netting did keep them off of the nesting box but instead I found them on the roof. Coupled with the fact that they've flown over our fence and into our neighbor's yard the past two mornings we decided to go a different route. I fenced kn a run with 6 foot fence and covered the whole thing with bird netting to both keep them in our yard and to keep them off of the roof of the coop. If it weren't for them deciding to lay eggs on top I'd let them stay up there but with all of the money and hard work we've put in those eggs are like little pieces of gold at this point.
    [​IMG]

7. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    is there a roosting pole in the coop?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They sound like stubborn hens that need to be kept in an enclosed run with top so they can't fly out and aren't loose outside where predators will pick them off the nest boxes or roof.

9. ramsburgchicken

ramsburgchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    I think we need to lend you our "Qtip" for awhile. Our 2 Roos always make a big deal out of showing the hens where to lay their eggs. They jump in the nesting boxes and flop around, pulling bedding over their backs like a broody hen! Only place we've had eggs laid that was unwanted was in a feed bag. (We made sure to close them up better), and in a bag of pine shavings (we just gave up on that and let them have it). [​IMG] Both of those places our other Roo "Chicken Salad" told them that it would be a neat place to lay eggs.. [​IMG]

Qtip would definitely help you out! He takes his payment in mealworms, bananas and snuggles.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by