chickens won't use their coop.

broken08

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
So I have 15 4 month old Javas that have only know Illinois summer. They always sleep outside in one big huddled pile of feathers. They refuse to go in the coop, which is heated. I use the coop as a go through to the main yard I let them in to when I'm home, so I know they know how to get in their coop.

Is it normal for them to want to sleep outdoors? It is in a fully fenced area, but I have this fear that they are dumb enough to stay outside when it gets cold and they will freeze. will they?

My coop is slightly undersized since I didn't mean to have so many, so I'm sure thats part of it. It's clean too.

other thoughts: they have to go up a 1 foot high ramp through a foot long tunnel to get in the coop, does that bother them? Like I said, they go through it fine to get to the yard.

This is my first time having chickens and I don't know anyone who has them. (well, second flock, but we won't talk about the racoons.)

thanks all!

Surely you don't have the heat on now do you?

If you want them to use the coop then you need to lock them in it for a couple of days/nights. Then they'll use it.

I'd wait until colder weather to do that.

Just keep putting them in there. They will figure it out. I have 9 now that I have to put in the coop every night before lock down. They will get it at some point though.

Back
Top Bottom