**Chickens**

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nikki777, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Nikki777

Nikki777 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    Hello, I am struggling here, I have 2, 3 month old buff orpingtons, they are currently in a extra large dog cage in my chicken coop (newly built shed) I have let them out to mingle with my other 10 chickens & I duck. Well...my 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 silver lace Wyandottes, jump on their backs, pull feathers, etc. My 2 buff orpingtons are terrified now. So I put them back in their cage. When I do let them out I sit in the coop with them for about 2 hours. Just to make sure my other girls are not messing with them. I have tried to let them roost at night with my big girls & the next morning I found my little girls hiding & feathers EVERYWHERE. My big girls are just so mean. Any ideas on what to do next? Just breaks my heart! Heres a picture of my 2 little girls, i put blue ointment on them it did help a little from being attacked...need ideas...Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to the forum- sorry you're having trouble with your flock. Buff orpies and RIR hens should never be kept together, as buffies are some of the meekest (it's recommended not to keep any other breeds with them) and RIRs' are known to be very aggressive. They will need to be permanently separated.

3. Nikki777

Nikki777 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking about my reds.

4. You can divide their coop/run with chicken wire and they will be fine.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You may have to wait until spring when the birds are able to free range and are not trapped in the pen/coop. Buff orpingtons do fine in mixed flocks, but the introduction of a limited number of birds to an established flock is always difficult. Do an on site search on 'flock integration'.

N F C, rjohns39, Melky and 12 others like this.
  6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    You need to do a slow proper integration. It takes time.

N F C, rjohns39, Melky and 7 others like this.
  7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
  8. Nikki777

Nikki777 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    I Seen different videos on integration, Im thinking about just waiting until spring to be with my other girls. That way they are as big as my big girls. I do have all my girls free range my property, we live out in the country & they even go to my neighbors to visit. I call them & they come running. I have thought about rehoming but with how spoiled I got them, I don't know if I could. So as for now they are staying here.

9. Nikki777

Nikki777 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    Thank you, they have been in the cage for a week now , but I have gotten them out to flap their wings & fly a bit in the coop. (Exercise) yes it takes time, & I'm willing to do whatever it takes for my little girls. They are all just so fun! Thank you for the encouragement!

10. Nikki777

Nikki777 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: