1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. permacultureNOLA

permacultureNOLA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    New Chickens did well

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This is NOT pred proof. Not in daytime either but less of an issue where you're located except for a determined dog. Is the run covered with deer netting or other? (hawks). If you can make the coop itself pred proof, while still providing necessary ventilation, that will work. Or make the entire "compound" pred proof if you're not going to close the coop up. You'll find lots of info about pred proofing on this site.
    JJ

3. permacultureNOLA

Apr 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    chickens doing well overall

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Leaving your coop open at night is just asking for trouble. Adding ventilation is not rocket science and could be easily accomplished by a removable board or wood square with chicken wire covering the hole.

Honestly if the coop has to be open to provide ventilation its not really a coop worth using.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Chicken wire is made to keep chickens in, it won't keep anything out.

Consider replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth instead.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would strongly recommend shutting them securely into the coop at night... while it is fairly easy to Fort Knox-ify a coop, it is extremely difficult to really predatorproof a run. And you don't usually discover in what way(s) your run is vulnerable until you have dead chickens; and then you have much more motivated predators to compound the problem. Browse 'just lost half my chickens' type threads in the Predators and Pests section of BYC and you will see what I mean.

Cut some large holes (like something on the order of 1 sq ft per chicken), cover them with hardwarecloth to keep predators out, and if you get cold winters make some flaps to cover the vents when some of them need to be shut down. Then the chickens will have plenty of ventilation (24/7/365, which they need) AND they will be safe at night.

I have a page with some further discussion of the subject of ventilation; see the link below in my .sig

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. permacultureNOLA

Apr 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thanks for all the sincere and helpful posts.

8. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hey PCNola,

You are right to think about opposums. It's funny about raccoons- I never saw one in my whole life, not even road kill, until I built a pond. Boy am I glad I only lost fish and not chickens! (Didn't have chickens yet.)

It's likely that there are raccoons in your neighborhood too, they are just more wiley and there are fewer of them.

In my coop, I put one window in the coop with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and I made the pophole door out of hardware cloth with a wood frame. I also drilled ventilation holes at the top and covered them with hardware cloth. I think the round holes look especially cute.

If you lock them in at night, you should have few worries. It sounds like your run is safe for the day time since your yard is fenced.

Good Luck!

9. permacultureNOLA

Apr 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Chickens are well...

10. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Beautiful coop! I love the wooden window, and the color of the wood. It is really a wonderful set-up. Your coop looks very secure.

Are those Delawares? They are very attractive birds. I have a Columbian Wyandotte that is a similar color, and she is my favorite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by