chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken-town 32, Aug 12, 2014.

1. chicken-town 32

chicken-town 32 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Hi im a proud owner of 30 beautiful hens they started laying and we moved then to a different location and i have to move them agian shouldn't i be worried about their stress level

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome
    When you say you are moving them to "new locations" - are you talking about a move of miles to a new property or a move around the property to a new setup you have ready for them? The level of "stress" involved for the birds will depend on the distance of the move, how they are moved, the conditions they are moved into, etc - and whether or not there is any worry to be attached to that will depend on those things as well.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chickens hate change and moving is stressful for chickens, so it will probably throw them off laying for a bit.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, chickens don't like change and moving will usually affect their laying to some extent, depending on how much of a move and change it is. Try to keep things the same as much as possible that you can, schedule, food etc.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X4 change is hard on chickens. It effects their laying and their behavior. Make a routine of feeding, watering, giving treats, cuddling, etc.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X5 Expect some stress and possible lack of eggs for a while. Try to keep them comfy, let them know everything is ok. Go sit with them and help them to understand there is nothing to be afraid of.

Good luck with all the moves and welcome to our flock!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Stress in moving is normal with chickens, but you have been given some good advice from the other BYC members, and I'm sure your flock with recover nicely. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Who knows, maybe your birds will love "musical coops," is there a reason you keep moving them or just trying to keep them from trashing the grass under their feet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by