chickensitters?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 5th lake chick, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 5th lake chick

5th lake chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    This is my first year with chickens- my husband and I would like to get away for more than overnight. We live in a rural area and don't really know a neighbor that would like to have free eggs and some fun taking care of my chickens? Relatives all live too far away. What do some of you do to get away? I absolutely love having chickens and don't want to give them up.

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's always a problem when you have livestock. OldGal and I have left the chickens on their own for two days with no problems. We just made sure that they had plenty of food and water before we left.

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

It can be done for a week if you have an auto door and accept the risks involved.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I hire a petsitter-who happens to buy hay from us.

5. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    I was in the same boat this summer. About a month before we left for a week-long vacation, we opened a free trial subscription to Care.com and placed an ad. I got about two dozen applications for the job and picked a young lady who lived just up the road and was studying animal science and wanted more experience working with farm animals, even though she was raised on a farm. Anyway, she worked for cheap and checked in whenever she was out, two to three times a day! I couldn't have asked for better. Just remember to cancel the trial membership to the site, lol, or they'll bill you. Now I have her number for whenever I need it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by