Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think it should be 6 mo. Bought it from you on April 11th and I think you had posted that it was 1.5 mo old at the time.

ohhhhh ok. So then it would have more streamers if it was boy, so i think girl.

Quote:
I think it should be 6 mo. Bought it from you on April 11th and I think you had posted that it was 1.5 mo old at the time.

Can 6 mo old silkies lay eggs? I thought it took them closer to a year. I've had some mysterious small beige bantam eggs appear in my nest boxes that I assumed were from my antwerp, but she's broody and not laying now. So I'm thinking it could be miss Honey the buff silkie? Maybe?

I am selling my breeding colony of diamond doves with cage if anyone is interested. It will include the cage and 5 doves as I am keeping one pair for myself. I really like them but they are taking up too much space in the studio so I will downsize the cage and keep a pair. Here is a picture.
17950_014.jpg

17950_016.jpg

17950_015.jpg

Quote:

Can 6 mo old silkies lay eggs? I thought it took them closer to a year. I've had some mysterious small beige bantam eggs appear in my nest boxes that I assumed were from my antwerp, but she's broody and not laying now. So I'm thinking it could be miss Honey the buff silkie? Maybe?

yes it could be your buff, silkies can start laying at 5 to 6 months, more on 6 months and up on silkies.

Quote:
We have a buff colored silkie hen--- she has a larger comb than yours, but she lays eggs, so we know she's a she.
smile.png
Oh, and her head puff is rather skimpy......our blue/black silkie rooster had a MUCH bigger puff, until my SF roo pulled most of his puff out......but the buff hen's puff always looked more like a mohawk and the kids call her a rock-star! LOL

Quote:
I have a white silkie that i got as a small chick from Lisa Frennett. She's now 10 months old, and clucks like a girl....no crowing sounds at all. She has laid maybe 3 or 4 eggs in the last 3-4 months. She was living with one of my Serama hens, and every so often i would find a small white oblong egg that looked very differnt from the eggs laid by the Serama hen---and on the days i got the oblong egg, two eggs were laid instead of one....so i really do think the oblong eggs are the silkie's. But her laying is VERY sporadic and infrequent. I don't really mind---we consider the silkies as pets, the kids each own one now.
smile.png

Quote:
I have a white silkie that i got as a small chick from Lisa Frennett. She's now 10 months old, and clucks like a girl....no crowing sounds at all. She has laid maybe 3 or 4 eggs in the last 3-4 months. She was living with one of my Serama hens, and every so often i would find a small white oblong egg that looked very differnt from the eggs laid by the Serama hen---and on the days i got the oblong egg, two eggs were laid instead of one....so i really do think the oblong eggs are the silkie's. But her laying is VERY sporadic and infrequent. I don't really mind---we consider the silkies as pets, the kids each own one now.
smile.png

Silkies eggs should be tinted cream colored. and a little bigger than the serama's egg
wink.png

Last edited:
Unless i can find a local buyer first, We will probably be bringing 3 Khaki Campbell drakes with us to this swap. When i bought them, the lady said they were hatchery-sexed females her daughter got from their local feed store. Well, after i got them, they grew up to have green heads, curly tail feathers, and soft voices! Ooops!
tongue.png
They are something like 4-5 months old, but not certain of age.

We are still looking for 1 to 2 more FEMALE DUCKS! I want eggs, so prefer good layers, such as Khaki Campbells. Also, hoping to find ones near laying or already laying----I don't want to start with babies. My kids would love to have an Indian Runner, and maybe a Crested duck, so i said we could see about those too if they are available. I do NOT want Muscovies (sorry).

Quote:
smile.png

Silkies eggs should be tinted cream colored. and a little bigger than the serama's egg
wink.png

All my silkies lay white eggs. Silkies were my very first chickens and my very first layers. Also my only chickens that lay white eggs----all my other hens lay brown eggs, or chocolate or green/blue eggs. My 3 Seramas are laying small beige eggs that are much rounder than the silkie eggs, and those Seramas you got from me came from small roundish beige eggs that were laid by the two Serama hens that live in the OTHER Serama pen (NOT the pen that the silkie was in).
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
wink.png

All my silkies lay white eggs. Silkies were my very first chickens and my very first layers. Also my only chickens that lay white eggs----all my other hens lay brown eggs, or chocolate or green/blue eggs. My 3 Seramas are laying small beige eggs that are much rounder than the silkie eggs, and those Seramas you got from me came from small roundish beige eggs that were laid by the two Serama hens that live in the OTHER Serama pen (NOT the pen that the silkie was in).
wink.png

weird, they should be layng tinted eggs. I have not seen a silkie lay a white egg yet.
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom