Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
BYC is a fantastic place for chicken enthusiasts all over the world to get together to chat chicken by simply turning on their computers.

But every once in a while we want to meet our fellow BYC addicts for face to face discussions where we can have a fun time and make new friends. It is for this reason that our members setup local Chickenstocks all over the world.

Chickenstock was started by BYC as a way for members to meet each other. It has grown to global proportions and there are gatherings all over the US and a couple overseas. It was even featured in the Tractor Supply magazine, and some have had newspaper coverage.

We've had some VERY amazing Chickenstocks over the years that were organized by even more amazing BYC members! They have some amazing ideas and suggestions for organizing and running these events, so I've started this thread to get ideas and feedback in one place.

If you have ideas and suggestions on How To Organize A BYC Chickenstock please post them here! Please don't use this thread for chatter so we can keep this thread as concise and helpful as possible.

Guidelines for the Chickenstocks, Shows and Meetups area of the forum:

The purposes of this Chickenstock section of BYC are:
(a) to post information about, plans for and results of Chickenstocks,
(b) to post information about, plans for and results from poultry shows, and
(c) to post information about, plans for and results of swap meets held face-to-face outside of BYC.

The BYC Staff would like to remind everyone that sales, swaps, trades and other online transactions of animals and other property in this area of the forum will be closed and/or deleted. Online transactions, including want ads, should be posted in the correct area of the Buy ~ Sell ~ Auction section of the forum.

If you are unsure if a topic fits in this area, feel free to PM a Staff member to ask first. We want to keep all online transactions in the Buy ~ Sell ~ Auction area of the forum to allow our members access to the buyer and seller feedback tools. This should result in a safer, more organized online sales experience for all of our members.

We do not allow the sale of raffle tickets on BYC. This is due to gambling laws that vary from state to state as well as over state lines. We also don't allow the solicitation of monetary donations.

Also, if you've had a successful Chickenstock please reply to this thread with the date and a link to a post with a summary and pictures of the event including:

1) The date - location of the Chickenstock
2) A direct link to the first post in the thread with pictures

For example: 2009/08/01 - CA Bay Area Chickenstock

Last edited:
First Suggestion: <cough>requirement<caugh>

Please put the date of the show and location in the subject line of your new chickenstock threads! It makes it easier to look for something in the area that is on a day we can attend!

Our Lansing-are Michigan chickenstock was held this past Saturday and I think it was a really good one! To my knowledge, it was the first Michigan 'stock, and we look forward to having another.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=184561

Some of the things that could have been made it better:

Having an agenda with times for games.

Do door prize drawings during the meal – this is when everyone is gathered together.

More games for the kids. We had Limbo, which the kids all really enjoyed, but it would have been nice if there were more "kid-themed" games.

Music – music would have been nice.

Name tags – make sure to write your BYC user ID AND your real name underneath.

Greeter – it would be great to appoint a greeter near the parking lot to direct folks to your sign-in sheet, give them an agenda, etc.

Door prizes - ask for volunteers to make door prizes. BYC has so many crafty folks...we had a few folks bring door prizes, but it was not well organized, and would have been better if ther were more.

We had a sign-in sheet so we could have a good headcount at the end of the day, just to know how many attended. On the sheet, we asked how many critters each person brought - but, several folks didn't sign in. I think the greeter idea would have helped here.

Make sure to tell the park rangers (or whoever the folsk are that you reserve your area/pavillion with) ahead of time that you will have livestock, but it will all be caged.

Just a few thought my DH and I had. He's actually still mentioning little things, but these were the biggest ones.

WoW! Where do we begin? We had a fantastic weekend here in Indiana too. This was the 5th Indiana Chickenstock I've been to, and the best so far!
hugs.gif

8/1/2009
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=184287

AND there are more pix here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=223336

Last edited:
I have learned so many things as I have helped Plann 2 of these in Oklahoma so far, A good detailed announcement helps to inform folks and you should try to edit,copy, and update often and repost it every few pages or so. In our announcement you may find a few things that we do that you could incorparate in some of your events.

AL

2009 OFFICIAL AUTUMN POOPS ANNOUNCEMENT"

I am proud to announce to all Okies in the BYC members That the fall POOPS=
People Of Oklahoma Poultry Swap Has been Officially set.

WHEN= Saturday, September 26th, 2009

WHERE= OKC east KOA Campground, 6200 Choctaw rd, Choctaw Ok

WHO= All Oklahoma members of the Okies in the BYC their families and invited friends.

After the very fun and successful spring 2009 POOPS event there was much interest in having a fall event, we felt that we surely must let this fine tradition continue in all it's fanfare. with continued support We will strive to make this event even bigger and better than ever as our fine members deserve only the best. For those of our new members and members who were unable to attend the Okies in the BYC POOPS, it is a family oriented affair, where members come to meet the folks we talk to everyday on this forum, and enjoy the one thing we all have in common our fondness of poultry. This year promises to be one you do not want to miss, and as I stated it will be bigger and better than ever, this year we are planning the following.

1. Food : This year we will be featuring a full pot luck lunch and dinner.
2. Poultry : The usual fanatical buying/selling/swapping of poultry.
3. A night of fun filled entertainment at the clubhouse.
4. Several static displays for your learning and viewing pleasure.
5. small lectures and demonstrations by professional and respected members of the poultry and agriculture fields.
6. A Raffle
7. and for the first time our very own Live POOPS Poultry Auction.
8. Printed programs of the days events.
9. POOPS T-shirts for sale at the clubhouse.
And much much more!!!!!!!.
10. POOPS Grand Prizes, 2-6 mo Golden Feather Memberships to the BYC.

A special operations commitee has been formed and several of our fine upstanding members have offered to give freely and happily of their time and expertise. they will head up the following appointed ares of intrest.

AL (al6517) & Monty (Buckguy20): Commitee chairmen.

Carah (Sooner) & Eulaine (TJ's Na-Na) : Food and Beverages. contact these ladies with your ideas, dishes, and help. A list has been started and is circulating around our thread.

Grace (gracefullbantams) : Raffle. Grace has a seperate thread for raffle donations going and she has promised to post the link soon.

Marybeth (poultry&bees) : Static display's and lectures/demonstrations. Those wanting to seek info on setting up displays or needing guidance contact Marybeth.

Beth (cityclucks) : Entertainment, and Name Tags. The Entertainment is progressing well and promises to be side splitting fun. Now currently forming the Chickendale dancers.

Al (al6517) Carla & Gerald (OKCarla) : Live poultry Auction. Contact AL for your list of what you want to consign to the auction.

Carah (Sooner) : Tee Shirts- 3 color Designs are now in the works. Carah will start a size and Quantity order thread soon. We are lucky this year to be able to also have plenty of extra T-shirts in different sizes available at the event for sale. but get your order in early, NO $$$$ will be needed in advance to order.

Monty and Myself will be posting more specifics and details on these areas in a later post. As always Monty will be seeking Donations for the clubhouse rental and the cabin reservation info at KOA. We tried so very hard to choose a date for this event that would fit 99.9% of are available members, the weather, POOPS planning and reservation schedule, and local and regional events. The good folks at KOA have been so gracious to have invited us back and we recieved some very good positive feedback from are members, that this was a good fit for our needs. As a group we are known for are steadfastness once we set our minds to a task, it is now up to each and every one of us to come together and contact the appropriate principle to offer any help and suggestions, ya'll know the drill. The principle heads will start to post a list of names and services volunteered as it begins to come together in their areas.

So Okies let the festivities begin in the tradition of the most poplular group thread on this BYC forum.

AL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
In very large groups it can be a daunting task putting one of these together, getting several well trusted folks to head up major areas helps spread out the workload. Make sure you plan at least 2-3 months in advance it seems like that is a good magic # it gives plenty of leed time. We have had an after event meeting just before all the folks take off, where we can share what we have learned, what went wrong, how to improve those areas next year, and possibly even make tentitive talks for the future ones.

AL

Last edited:
This is the schedule of events for our Okies in the BYC meet-up we call POOPS= People. Of. Oklahoma. Poultry Swap. Being held on the 26th of Sept 2009 in Oklahoma City. This is our second one this year Crazy I know but fun.
This may give you some idea of the kind of things that you can have at your chickenstocks that may be helpful.

AL

POOPS "2009" Schedule of Events

Start Time 9:00 am, Saturday Sept 26th 2009

9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meet & Greet,
Piped in music
Poultry Buy/Sell/Swap,
Static Display viewing,
Both Auction Consignments Sign in,
Raffle items check-in
Big Green Army Truck rides,
Childrens book reading, Coloring & book give away.
Pinata Children 7 & under,
Childrens Raffle
Individual & Okies group Photo session
NPIP testing available upon request

12:00 pm -1:00 pm
Lunch is served

1:30 pm - 2:00 pm
Donation Auction Starts
Sellers Auction

4:00 pm
Raffle starts

5:00 pm
Dinner meal served

6:00 - 6:30 pm
Clubhouse clean-up & set-up for Entertainment

7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
POOPS Welcome speach
Birthday annoucements
4H & FFA & Poultry show ribbons ceremony for the JR's
GFM's & Table center piece drawing
Entertainment Starts : Wheel of misfortune, The Fox & Hen skit
Live music Performances.
Main event : Featuring the criticly acclaimed Chickendales Dancers.

10:00 pm
Clubhouse clean-up
Event grounds wrap-up
POOPS after action Meeting, all members are invited to attend,
coffee served.

*Notes*
T-shirts will be available for payment & pick-up starting Friday evening the 25th.

Friday 25th Sept - For the folks that arrive on Friday there will be a small burger & dog cookout that Friday evening at the campground.

There will be individual printed copies of the day's event schedule handed out for your use the day of the event.

Please try and sign in your: raffle/Donation Auction/Sellers Auction/Childrens Raffle items as soon as you arrive for the groups viewing.

It is encouraged for those who can to please bring any available tables and chairs they may have as we will need additional seating for our large turnout, both inside & outside.

All times are tentitive and subject to minor changes, but this will give folks a good idea of the timeline for the day.

The POOPS after action meeting held in the clubhouse at the end of the evening, will be an opportunity for the group to talk over POOPS planning, and questions to post on the forum for future disscussion as it pertains to the group and future POOPS events.
Minutes of that meeting will be posted online in our forum soon after POOPS.

AL

Wow, guys. I love the idea of all the games for the kids and fun activities to do for everyone. We had a Spring ChickenStock here in the eastern panhandle of WV and it was so much fun. We had a chance to meet other bycers but we also advertised to the public on craigslist, in the newspaper as well as by hanging up flyers around town. We had advertised it as a buy/sell/trade event. Here's our flyer.
10091_fallchickenstock.jpg

One thing I regret was not having a sign up sheet so we could keep track of chicken heads in our area
lol.png
And so I could contact them all directly for the next event. Advertising to the public was a great way to gain more BYC members. Now there are many o West Virginian chillin with their peeps.
wink.png

See ya again next Spring for our 3rd bi-annual WV Chickenstock!!!
ya.gif

Quote:
I totally agree with this. Our chickenstock wasn't all that big, but it was a tough job trying to organize it all myself! Needless to say, it wasn't near as organized as I would have liked, hopefully next year's will be better
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom