Chickenthat can't stand

jenzhenz97

Hatching
Dec 1, 2022
I have a hen that is unable to stand. When she does she falls over like she has no balance. She is eating, drinking and pooping. I have her isolated. I have been giving her oral vitamins. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Can you give her a physical examination to weed that out?

External examination consists of looking for Parasites, cuts, wounds, and tumorous growth. Anything that's not normal.

How old is she?
What do you feed on a daily basis?
When was the last time/most recent time you brought any new birds home?

How old is she?
What do you feed on a daily basis?
When was the last time/most recent time you brought any new birds home?
She is 2 years old. I feed her producers pride layer pellets. The whole flock rats the same feed. I haven't had any new birds since her flock 2 years ago.

Can you give her a physical examination to weed that out?

External examination consists of looking for Parasites, cuts, wounds, and tumorous growth. Anything that's not normal.
I did examine her no parasites, cuts, wounds, tumors. Feet look good comb is red

I have a hen that is unable to stand. When she does she falls over like she has no balance. She is eating, drinking and pooping. I have her isolated. I have been giving her oral vitamins. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

She is 2 years old. I feed her producers pride layer pellets. The whole flock rats the same feed. I haven't had any new birds since her flock 2 years ago.
Do you have photos of your hen and her poop?
When was her last egg?

Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

Keep her eating/drinking, see that her crop is emptying overnight. Do look for lice and mites as well.
Hard to know what's happening with her. I'd keep up with the vitamins - make sure they contain E, B1 (Thiamine) and B2 (Riboflavin). If they don't, then you can use human vitamins give her 1/2 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E.

She may be having some reproductive issues or this could be disease like Marek's, unless you discover some type of injury. Just guesses on my part, at 2yrs old and no additions to the flock, I'd lean toward reproductive or possibly fatty liver disease.

When was her last egg?

Keep her eating/drinking, see that her crop is emptying overnight. Do look for lice and mites as well.
Hard to know what's happening with her. I'd keep up with the vitamins - make sure they contain E, B1 (Thiamine) and B2 (Riboflavin). If they don't, then you can use human vitamins give her 1/2 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E.

She may be having some reproductive issues or this could be disease like Marek's, unless you discover some type of injury. Just guesses on my part, at 2yrs old and no additions to the flock, I'd lean toward reproductive or possibly fatty liver disease.

I did examine her no parasites, cuts, wounds, tumors. Feet look good comb is red
When was her last egg?

I don't have a picture of her pop as I just cleaned her up but it looks normal for chicken poop
When was her last egg?

I don't have a picture of her poop but it looks like normal chicken poop. Last egg was at least 2 weeks ago. No signs of bloat

Attachments

• IMG_20221203_104759163.jpg
    IMG_20221203_104759163.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your chicken. What is your general location? She looks out of it in the picture. Has she been awake and alert, and does she move her negs at all or lift her head? Are you able to get some fluids and vitamins into her, and offer some moistened chicken feed and egg?

Back
Top Bottom