Chickentopia has begun! Pictures!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by herechickchick, Apr 29, 2007.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    The wait is finally over! We're so excited!! [​IMG]

We received around 30 day old babies at 5:30 today and have been getting them settled since! We ordered from McMurray and all of them were alive and kickin'!

Here's what we have:
    5 Delawares
    5 Blue Andalusians
    5 Silver Grey Dorkings
    5 Black Langshans
    5 Black Silkies
    5 Black Tailed Buff Japanese
    +1 Free Rare Chick!

Enough babbling, right? On to the pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's our free rare chick. What a little spitfire! Any ideas as to the breed? Should be one of these: Click for Rare Chicks

[​IMG]

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
  3. Hellebore

Hellebore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Kirkland WA
    Your mystery chick is a Silver Spangled Hamburg. We got the same mystery chick from McMurray 2 weeks ago and someone on this forum helped me figure out what he/she is. Our chick has feathers coming in now and they are beautifully streaked black and white. I am really hoping it is a hen. I called McMurray Hatchery and asked if the mystery chicks are usually roosters and they said there was a 50/50 chance and that they just grab a box of a certain type, straight run, and put 1 chick in each order.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Aww, what a bunch of cuties. Have fun [​IMG]

5. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Awwwwwwww...how sweet, [​IMG] all those cut little fuzzy butts! Makes me want peeps too. [​IMG] Congratulation!! Glad they all arrived safe and sound. [​IMG]

6. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:Wow! Thanks so much! I just looked them up on Feathersite and it looks like you're right! Here's hoping it's a she, but I'm naming it Spitfire!

(btw, I'm the roommate, in case you're confused)

They are all doing so well this morning! Not one of them died during the night. They all arrived yesterday alive with plenty of energy. I was so proud! Yesterday we watched them learn to differentiate poop from food, learn to scratch, and basically interact with each other. Already I can see feather growth, and it hasn't even been 24 hrs yet. They've kept their water containers extraordinarily clean, too! These guys are just so much fun.

Thanks for sharing in our excitement!

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Very cute little peepers! One thing though- take the newspaper out and put paper towels in (or put paper towels on top of the newspaper) so the chicks won't end up with spradle leg.

8. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    The newspaper was only temporary. They're not on it anymore. [​IMG]

9. Hellebore

Hellebore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Kirkland WA
    You will see quickly that Spitfire is a good name for your chicken. They are supposed to be very active and like to fly high and avoid human contact, but ours will fall asleep in my hand and seems just as tame as the others, although he/she does startle more easily so far. We named ours Lightfoot. Keep me posted on how he/she is doing. I'm so happy they were all healthy. We had good luck with ours as well and they all lived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by