Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

SpotTheCat

Crowing
Jan 19, 2021
UK
Since when is it the breeders choice how you feed YOUR dog? That’s pretty crusty.
Specially that they where claiming its bad for all samoyeds and it causes blockage in puppies. What makes this worse is they have never had a litter and it seems like they only have 3 samoyeds

Not to mention their replies to me answering their questions about puppy training where not the friendliest sounding and a bit weird

igorsMistress

Frank and Abbys mom.
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Specially that they where claiming its bad for all samoyeds and it causes blockage in puppies. What makes this worse is they have never had a litter and it seems like they only have 3 samoyeds

Not to mention their replies to me answering their questions about puppy training where not the friendliest sounding and a bit weird
Things go to peoples heads and they think they know everything lol.

igorsMistress

Frank and Abbys mom.
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Its so hard to find a breeder, I am struggling to even find breeders to email, websites are apparently not very popular in the uk
When we got puppies we decided on mixed breeds. We haven’t had the best of luck with breeders or their dogs. Our vet suggested a mixed breed because there’s less inbreeding and they’re often healthier as a result. We still have bullies, but not purebreds. Works for us, they have the traits we want. I realize not everyone will compromise like that, but it’s a thought :idunno

SpotTheCat

Crowing
Jan 19, 2021
UK
When we got puppies we decided on mixed breeds. We haven’t had the best of luck with breeders or their dogs. Our vet suggested a mixed breed because there’s less inbreeding and they’re often healthier as a result. We still have bullies, but not purebreds. Works for us, they have the traits we want. I realize not everyone will compromise like that, but it’s a thought :idunno
I am going for purebred because from all my research mixed breed doesn’t mean healthier, they can inherit bad traits and health from what every they are mixed with, a good breeder breeding for health has a higher chance of being healthy then a mixed breed. I do like rescuing if I didn’t want this dog for specific things I would get a rescue, my current dog is a rescue and turns out she is probably purebred from a bad breeder, she has problems with her knees which is apparently a health problem in Pomeranians

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA

To me, that sounds like they are still learning how to do this, and they are probably working from some list of how to do things "right" (screen possible owners, have homes lined up before breeding, etc.)

They may be fine people who will produce good dogs (I don't have enough information to tell either way), but that doesn't mean they are right for YOU. Considering what you want in a breeder and in a dog, I agree that looking elsewhere sounds like a better choice for you at this time.

SpotTheCat

Crowing
Jan 19, 2021
UK
To me, that sounds like they are still learning how to do this, and they are probably working from some list of how to do things "right" (screen possible owners, have homes lined up before breeding, etc.)

They may be fine people who will produce good dogs (I don't have enough information to tell either way), but that doesn't mean they are right for YOU. Considering what you want in a breeder and in a dog, I agree that looking elsewhere sounds like a better choice for you at this time.
I wouldn’t have such an issue with them if they hadn’t written everything like they had been breeding and owning samoyeds for years, what made me most upset was their reply to when I told them I didn’t think their dogs where for us.
Here some of the questions, our answers and their replies(the discuss later means discuss when we visit them):

Question
“Your puppy jumps up and bites your clothing and shoes on walks.”
Answer
“Ignore it and end the walk until it is calm, reward calm periods on walks.”
“Remind me to discuss this as well, it can be frustration/overarousal too, again common in Sams”

Question
“Your pup jumps up against kitchen worktops and pulls things off”
Answer
“Take anything it steals away from it, tell it off, reward being good in kitchen and not stealing while there is good food to tempt it.“
“The best way is prevention, do not leave pup unsupervised in such areas, keep things away from the edges, use a puppy pen, baby gates etc. Once a pup has learnt it can counter surf it is a very difficult habit to break and telling it off will only teach it to be extra vigilant and furtive.”

Question
“Your pup cries and is sick and/or urinates/defecates when left alone in the crate”
Answer
“Depends very much on other factors, when is crated, for how long, how often, is it ill etc.”
“This is usually separation anxiety and a dislike of the crate which needs to be addressed immediately to prevent the dog developing a lifelong dislike of being crated or confined.”

Question
“Your pup is hyperactive and manic in the house and refuses to settle down while you watch TV.”
Answer
“Is it over stimulated or under stimulated? Depends on what has happened before now.“
“Often overtiredness if at the end of the day, like toddlers. Will discuss as well as provide solutions”

Am I overreacting or does this sound like they don’t think we know anything? I know not all of our answers are perfect, I have done more research know and I would change what I do depending on the puppies personality. If it was worded differently I would not have a problem with a lot of the replies.

But yes the mean problem is I don’t think they are the correct breeder for us

Also what they said about raw

“We would actually advise against raw feeding and recommend a complete food containing grain. This is in line with veterinary advice, our own observations of raw-fed Samoyeds and their health. and increasing reports of dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs fed grain-free foods. Happy to discuss in more detail.”

SpotTheCat

Crowing
Jan 19, 2021
UK
yes.

you already decided you’re not getting a dog from these people so it’s time to let it rest.
I am asking people’s opinion on this situation, I haven’t contacted a breeder before so I am interested to see what people think is a red flag or not . If you don’t want to read it then don’t :idunno

Edited to explain better why I am still going on about the breeder

Last edited:

CHlCKEN

🍂 Chicken Herder 🍂
Premium Feather Member
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
sorry to interrupt whatever conversation is going about, but personality testing has just been done and my puppy has been selected 🥳

Brown (sable?) Standard Poodle. 7 weeks old.
42CD17B2-E0D3-4296-8BD5-2C711EBB0FAD.jpeg
11453CD9-30ED-42C5-896F-17538AB983C3.jpeg
4CA97377-990B-4C8C-98FE-57865732C297.jpeg
A45A5CB1-5D9F-4E80-AEEA-515F8B520E7F.jpeg
623E5EDD-A696-4AF7-A781-27AD28AE212C.jpeg

Top Bottom