Chickie Baby Tail Feathers Pulled - Bullies in the Brooder!

Ladysonja

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Porter, Texas
Hello All -

I have 9 (10 day olds) given to me by my neighbor.

We have had all 9 in a nice size brooder box. Tonight when I got home, DH said that one of the peeps looked as though his mates had pulled it's new little tail feathers out.

Right away, I took the little peep out of the box and made a box of his/her own. I put neosporin on his bloody back side and put him/her in it's own box.

From everything I have read on this site, I believe I have followed everyone's advice as what to do and I thank you.

Because little peep is lonesome, I have it sitting with me while I type this question... Poor peeper!

Anyway... When can I let him back with the rest? Any advice will be greatly apprecited...

PS... now it's on my shoulder snuggled in my hair.
lau.gif

Oh.. how cute!
You can put a red light in the brooder so the other chicks can't see the wound on the one. If that doesn't help, maybe you can take another little guy and put it in with the wounded one, just so it can have a friend. I've done that before and the two became buddies. If that doesn't work, a little stuffed animal and a mirror will keep the chick company when it can't be in your hair.
lol.png

See if you can get some Rooster Booster from the feed store. It had healing properties and it has a bad taste so the other little ones will be less likely to peck at it's backside.
Good luck!

Poor baby
sad.png
I would make sure you don't take it out of their site...or it will only get worse once you put it back in. Take some wire where they can still hear him and see him but not peck on him. That way they remember him and get used to him being there without getting to peck on him. Good luck
smile.png

Thank you for your tips. I think the red light is going to help.

I have 3 black stars that seem to be the bullies in the brooder box. The other 3 brownish ones seem to be bullied by the black ones as well.

I put the three yellow ones in their own box, but I really want them all in the same box for easy cleaning, feeding, watering etc. I think because of the one tail feather wounds their actions are bringing out by their instincts...

Unlike children, you can't sit them down and scold them about being little bullies -
hmm.png

PS... Peep snuggled in my hair until I fell asleep in the chair. Only on pooh pile when my husband woke me up to go to bed...
tongue.png

Thanks for the tips... Red Light is on the Walmart list and I will check with tractor suppy to see if the they have the rooster booster.

Update on the bullies in the box...

We replaced the regular light with a Red light and it appears to be working for the peeking issue and everyone seems to be more settled over all.

We also put them in an extra long some what clear storage bin with a rigged up lid to keep them from jumping out.

Everyone is nice and happy now... more room to grow and a red light to keep everyone calm.

Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom