Chickie boogies and thin americuna

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I have a month old BO and she was sneezing last night! It was the weirdest thing as I have never had this issue before. She stopped today and tonight but she did have a few boogies blocking one side of her nose. I cleaned it of and she still isnt sneezing. I put some duramyacine in their water. Will she be ok or should I be worried?

I also have a 6 week old ( ? ) americuna and she just seems to be lethargic and just kinda "meh". She is eatting, drinking, running around and what not but she is a bit smaller than her sister who might be a bit older but not sure... her eye seemed to be a bit runny last night. Just wet nothing icky. I feel like such a bad mama!!! They all seem fine right now I just wanted to make sure.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    You are not a bad chicken momma! You obviously care about them, or you wouldn't have posted here for help. [​IMG]

I'm not sure if the duramycin will be strong enough to knock out a respiratory infection, but if it's an infection, you should at least start seeing improvement in the next few days. On duramycin 10 you can keep a bird on it for up to two weeks, if need be. If she has trouble breathing again after the duramycin, you may need to use something stronger like Tylan 50.

Hm, not sure about your little 6 week pullet. Can you try feeling her crop? See if it's really full or hard--maybe she's having trouble passing food past her crop, giving her less nutrition from her food. She could also be coming down with a respiratory infection, too. With diseases like MG and Coryze you'll see the area around the chicken's eyes start to swell.

Good luck with your girls--you're doing a good job!

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

just keep an eye on them, I think there fine.

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I checked her crop and its fine and today her eye was dry... shes super cute though she sleeps a lot but just kinda seems lazzyish.

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:I checked her crop and its fine and today her eye was dry... shes super cute though she sleeps a lot but just kinda seems lazzyish.

That's great news! Hopefully it was just a passing problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by