chickie-boom-boom

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Last night I went through the garage to check on our brooder. 1 white leghorn, 1 americauna, 2 wynadottes, 2 astrolorps and 2 golden comets. The leghorn and the americauna were thundering around the brooder much to the dismay of the other chicks. It was entertaining though to see the chicks, the two bigger ones, try to push eachother around. I think I'd keep this americauna as a guard chicken if she weren't going to lay eggs. She has a quick hop and can throw them feet out quick. Not to be outdone however, the white leghorn will run over the top of the americauna.

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] Isn't it hilarious to see them establish their pecking order?

3. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]...sometimes it can be bloody brutal...[​IMG]...i had to build a 2bd pen and run when i bought my first delaware and tried to introduce her to th e flock.....[​IMG]

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:They sound cute! How are the Wyandotte chicks? I plan to order some and was wondering if they are calm as chicks?

5. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    the wynadotte chicks are very calm, yes. The golden comets are too, and they're very cute and curious. One actually crawled into my hand and fell asleep.

My gold laced wynadotte hens are anti-socialites. They turn up their beaks at associating with the other hens, although one seems to be getting along well with the "group."

6. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    My 3 week olds are doing the same. It is funny. It's cute that at this young age they really try to throw their "spurs" out with both feet! I've had no bloodshed and they still sleep together in the end...so far [​IMG]

7. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks for the response about the Wyandotte chicks! Yea, my Comet chicks were very calm! Actually, they still are(1 1/2 yo)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by