Chickie keep-away...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dgilm, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dgilm

dgilm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    So, my baby chicks are 3 weeks old now. They eat their chick starter. On occasion, for my personal entertainment, I toss a few frozen blueberries in to watch them chase each other around. And the kids will toss in a rare cricket or other bug. (maybe one or two a day.) I've been told that the chick starter should have enough grit to cover their needs. Is this the case, or when we start tossing in things like bugs and blueberries, do we need to add some grit?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

grit is sand or dirts specks. They store this in the gizzard where they process the food to poop. Place a little sand bath in the coop they will love it. They will get it themselves picking on the ground and in the dirt and around the coop but not from the foods. Try this in a 2'X3' tray. Mine is a restaurant busing tub.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    just any sand...like out of my yard. We live in a sand box. LOL

4. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:yep just regular sandy dirt, dont buy anything special or buy but plain dry dirt. You are going to crack up get the camera/video recorder out. They will show you a "DUST BATH" adorable. just no other words [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dgilm

dgilm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    believe it or not, I'll have to buy sand [​IMG] where we live it is red clay... not a speck of sand to be seen... if the poor things wallowed in the red clay, it would be a MESS! (of course, if all that is needed is dust, that I have a-plenty, in my house, maybe I'll just empty the vacuum cleaner bag into a box for a dust bath [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Quote:WE have a mixture of clay and sand. Want me to send you some?? LOL Seriously can't grow grass, can't grow a garden. Next year we have to buy soil to attempt another garden!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by