Chickie laws in Newton, Iowa, Lambs grove, Iowa

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by mommyof4littles, Jan 24, 2009.

1. mommyof4littles

mommyof4littles Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    I am guessing we are supposed to post our locals so...
    Poultry is not specifically listed (this may change, we have a nasty little old neighbor a block away who hates my friends chicks) but livestock needs to have at least an acre. What it does not say is that it has to be yours (hehe) so the local animal control has been forced to say well if your neighbors do not mind and together you equal an acre then you are good to go. (the lady really likes chickens and has like 50 or 60, nice older lady maybe 40s to 50s age) So, when our neighbors complained we moved a couple blocks away to a place with a third acre, 2/3 acre on one side and an acre on another. So as long as we keep those two happy with us we can even get a horse (but won't). Lambs grove allows them simply because they never considered not doing so and have not updated their ordinances in over 100 years (seriously, it still says no people of like mixed race or non whites or something) Basically, alot of people have them here, we do keep a low profile though, as of yet MAYBE 5 people know where that rooster crow comes from and when I mention it offhandedly (it can stop quite abruptly if needed, I make stew alot lol) at stores and such people always say how much they love it and it really is cute and reminds them of simpler times and some even say they think it enhances the town image of a earlier time country lifestyle type thing. I personally have never heard anyone complain and my neighbors all love it to my knowledge. But I do trot out the chickens and rooster for all the neighborhood kids several times a week too so maybe it is the free babysitting my chickens provide for hours every week? I even had people schedule their kids to come sit with the chicks several times last year while their mum went to the store. My rooster is only 8-9" tall and can be heard everywhere but it is light and rather faint when not near my house so eh. (sorry I will get to the point) basically fairly quiet roosters are allowed right now as well is what I was trying to say.

2. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    I have a friend that lives in Mingo Iowa and right now there are no laws on keeping animals in the city. But he tells me there is someone in town that has a horse and sometimes it get out. So there are talking about changing the ordinance. Right now he does not have chickens but he wants to. I wonder if he got some right now he could be grandfathered in. Has anyone heard of this.

3. mommyof4littles

mommyof4littles Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    He will need to get some quickly yes, almost every code has a grandfather clause because of old wording. Another thing, tell him to go in and talk to his city ordinance people. It helps if he is volunteering for something too. I have noticed if a city that small stands to lose volunteers when their budgets are small already they are much easier to work with. He could also see what could be done to help said horse stay where it needs to be. It is never healthy to have a horse wandering around town.

4. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Thank You I will let him know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by