Chickie loving pet hay??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cookie_chick, Apr 11, 2007.

1. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    my chickie loves her pet hay i had a box thats really big and put it on its side and filled it with pet hay.....

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

SHE LOVES IT ALMOST AS MUCH AS SHE LOVES ME!!!!!!!!

is it good for her????

Oh wish me luck on the 12th of April my first Choir Assessment i hope we get an A+!!

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Please be more specific. Is she eating the hay or what ?

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Good luck on your choir assessment cookiechick!

My daughter is in choir too. They are in South Carolina competing in a national competition this week.

Sorry I can't help you with your hay question though!

4. ameador1

ameador1 Out Of The Brooder

I heard that it is better to use straw verses hay, as hay tends to be more dusty and can cause the chicks problems from breathing in the fine dust and hay particulates.

I set my new chicks up on a straw bed when they came, but found that they could not scratch in it very well as it kindof weaves together, so I bought pine shavings to put down so they could scratch around in it. They were very happy with that! I also sprinkle some of their food around in the pine shavings so they actually have something to find for their scratching efforts [​IMG]

One other thing I just did, but didn't post about it to get feedback yet, was to put a tray (like a kind of cookie sheet, but a little deeper (about 1.5 inches deep)), in their brooder with Hyponex Potting soil in it. At WalMart, I bought 2 cheap aluminum trays for $3 and a bag of Hyponex Potting soil for $1.70. I put some chick grit in this and mixed it in and also put some of their food on this. They REALLY loved this! Since I have the chick grit and dirt in there, I can now give them some little treats as well! I just add a little additional food on top each day (as well as in the pine shavings) and they seem very happy! Since giving the treats, they have been being much friendlier as well - much less skitish [​IMG]

This has woked out really well for me thus far.

Anyway, good luck and may your chicks be happy and healthy.

5. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    She could possibly mean Timothy Hay. I used that plus pine shavings for about the first week with my chicks. I think they ate it. It's not really supposed to cause problems. I guess it's more like eating grass. There's just a minor detail. Extra grit or not? Mine are still alive, so I assume it didn't hurt them too bad, if at all.

6. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Glad the chickies like the hay. Good luck with Choir Assessment tomarrow.

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I always have always used hay and have never had a problem with it I use mainly wood shavings but put hay in the nests and put some down in the winter. I would prefer to use straw but in my area its kind of hard to find. The hay is free for me so that's what I use. Pet hay, if it is what I think it is (bagged hay form the pet store), should be fine to use as it is mold free, clean and relative dut free. The only problem that I see with it is that it is very expensive. 5 bucks for a tiny bag vs. 3 bucks for a whole bale.

8. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    she's eatin it and all but she has no problems with it i think she enjoys it

AND WITH MY CHOIR ASSESSMENT WE GO AN A-
    I EVEN GO TO DO A SOLO YAY!

and is there any specific way to hold a chicken?

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]
    I'm paying almost $15 a bale... It costs $200 a month to feed two horses!

10. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    The pet hay she's talking about is ~$3 for what they call a mini-bale. Forget the weight, though. Closer to the size of a 12 pack of soda.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by