Chickie Poo on Chickies butts

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Some of my chickies almost week old when go poo some stays on there butts and then they will sit and get bedding stuck on there butts and dries hard...so should I maybe put some gloves on and wash there buts in sink..one looked like it was trying to go to bathroom but couldn't because of dried stuff on butt..

I know this stupid but just had to ask.

2. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    I take an old, soft bristled toothbrush wet, soak bum in warm water. NOT HOT! Gently in a downwards motion, brush the lil bum. Keep dipping the toothbrush in the warm water, and wash it off.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Oh thanks for the info, I never thought of that, will do. Thanks

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Do a search for pasty butt. It is a serious issue. You must keep their little poopers unplugged.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Yes, that's called pasty butt and they can die if you don't remove it. I had one that did. [​IMG] I don't bother with the water and all. I just pull it off with one swift yank. It takes the fuzz off too but then it can't accumulate again. Better get it off right away!!! Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Gotta be careful you don't scub to hard. You can pull their litte insides "inside out"....trust me I had it happen once.

A pinch of baking soda per quart of water will keep their poo soft enough it should not be an issue.

Good luck!

7. I like the toothbrush idea, never though of this. I usually bring the little turd to the sink and run warm water over the chick. Then carefully move my fingers back and forth to get the stuff to disolve. I like the tooth brush better !! Careful not to break the skin and make it bleed, they are pretty fragile.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you do use a tooth brush. MARK IT! Don't want unsuspecting to use it. [​IMG]

9. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Quote:[​IMG]

ewwwww

10. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Thanks everyone guess a stupid question afterall..I got it under control now..looked at all the bums to make sure ok..Thanks!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by