1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickiens eating other chyickens feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarabeth, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    I have a chicken and alot of her feathers are gone. I think the other chickens are eating them cause the base of the feathers are still there. She has bald spots where there was feathers. I dont think its molting cause I have some going through that and u can tell a big difference in it. They are only picking on this one bird. Or I say this one bird cause I havent seen them picking on her or anybody else. [​IMG]

2. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    According to a book I have, feathers are 85% protein, and chickens will sometimes pick feathers if they aren't getting enough protein.

You can boost their protein by giving them some catfood.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Could be that they are not getting enough protein. Feathers are mostly protien. Try upping there protien with some canned cat food, yogurt,cooked ground beef mixed in mash.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    This may be a silly thing to say, however, if the birds are not getting enough "good dirt" to scratch and eat, they will sometimes do that. If just happens that the bird getting pecked is "the weakest link" in the coop. Just a guess.[​IMG]

5. Chicken Vigilante

Chicken Vigilante Chicken Trader

Nov 22, 2008
    Yes, what are you feeding. For example Guinea fowl are notorious for eating feathers. They require a very high protein diet and can actually die from not getting enough protien.

We use starter for the regular chicks and game grower for the Guinea fowl. If we have both in the nursery, we mix them 50/50.
    We always mix poultry grain with starter before the age of 10 weeks.

The guinea will still eat the feathers. You would be really suprised at how much a chicken eats and drinks in a day even with enough protien in the diet.

6. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    If they are getting the proper feed, then if they are bored, over-crowded, cold or stressed they pick on whoever is "bottom of the totem pole" OR sometimes Hens will gang-up on younger Roo's... (According to our Vet & Extension office)
    We recently had this problem-- Vet had us use blue-kote..then when it is dry-- spread Vapor-rub an the area-- keeps them from picking at the new feathers as they grow in.

We now have 5 hens that will NEVER grow tails (eaten to the bone) and a Roo that is the same... all just because of boredom and pecking order!!!

7. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    will it be ok if i take her out and put her in a cage till i get her better or will they start on a new one. or could she be doing this herself cause i have never seen them peck on her.

8. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    it is often easier to find out who is doing the pecking and remove THEM so they do not choose a new victim once the original is gone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by