chickies breaking my heart!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katychick, Mar 19, 2013.

1. katychick

katychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    I put my babies outside in their coup for the first time at night tonight and they are not happy. We have been putting them out there for a few hours during the day for several days and they loved it. We decided since the weather is beautiful down here in Houston it was time to let them stay out all night, although I do have the heat lamp out there for them too. But once the sun starting setting they were all lined up at the run gate cheeping like crazy. We shuffled them up in the coup, turned on the heat lamp and closed it up nice and secure but they have been cheeping non stop for 2 hours now. How long does it take them to get used to their night time lodgings?

2. jobouss

jobouss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Tupelo, MS
    I moved my 6, 1 month old chicks to the coop about 4 days ago. I was such a worried momma hen all night. I went out there a couple of times before midnight just to check on them. Our run is not done yet, so they are staying in the coop. I have the run enclosure about half done. I think it bothers us more than them. Mine seem to be doing fine now. I also have the heat lamp for them and I have it secured to a hook screwed into the ceiling.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. katychick

Mar 3, 2013
    I worry their loud noises will bring predators around. I don't think anything can get in but I don't want them to be terrorized. They are just sound so sad![​IMG]

4. katychick

Mar 3, 2013
    Huge mistake!!! We picked the one night that had severe storms blow through in the middle of the night. What do you all do when it is really storming hard out? Do they just get used to it? Poor babies were terrified and shivering in the tightest ball of chicks I have ever seen. Luckily they weren't wet and their little bodies were quite warm to the touch so I think they were just scared. So needless to say none of us got any sleep. We decided to bring them in this morning for a rest. I guess we will have to try again......

5. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    they are animals...they will get used to it and be fine

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You have to let them transition. They will learn that their new home is safe and dry. I had my chicks in their coop with the pop door closed for a week before I gave them run access. This way they learned that the coop is their safe home and they instinctively return to that safety at dusk.

7. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    They're so pitiful the first time they stay out! Although it feels terrible, if you just leave them out there, they will probably calm down in a few minutes.

8. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    With our first flock, I transitioned them slowly. I moved them from the brooder to an outside run on warm days until they were ready to spend entire days outside. Then they spent all day outside. I herded them back inside to their brooder every night for a week. Then I herded them into their coop one morning for an hour and then into their run for the rest of the day and then into their brooder for the night. The next day, they spent 3 hours in their coop. Then the run, then the brooder for the night. The next day they spent the whole day in the coop, then into the brooder for the night. Then they went into the coop for 24 hours. Then I let them into the attached run and herded them into the coop for the night. I made them go into the coop at night for 5 nights. Then I left the pop door open and every night after that, they went in by themselves.

9. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Awwweee.. poor babies-- Unfamiliar housing is typically a frightening experience for chicks. [​IMG] I agree that if you make it a long and tedious process they will probably transition easier. The one thing you have to be cautious of if they are scared is if they huddle together and smother one another. Did you move their brooder feeder and waterer with them? Something familiar might help.... They do HAVE to learn that their coop is their safe place though-- Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by