1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickies *GOT* a bath!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyg2, May 9, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Does anyone know whether or not it's safe to give 4 week old BO's a little spritz bath?? [​IMG] Haha it may sound silly but I just wanted to clean them up a bit~ When I purchased them last week they had a few spots poo on them from being in with all the other chicks. They have alot of feathers coming in at this point. I don't want to do anything that would jeapordize their safety or get them sick, but I was wondering if it is safe to do?? Thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    You can give them a bath if they need it, just make sure you are holding the chick while it is in the water and that the water is warm. Make sure you have paper towels (or real ones) to dry them off and get them back under the heat lamp.

If pasty/ poopy butt is a constant problem, you can always carefully trim the feathers with scissors.

For the most part, they will grow out of it and you shouldn't need to intervene. It's only when they have a GIANT 'dingleberry' that I wash/yank/cut it off because it can block their vent.

Good luck!

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Yes they were a little squirmy at first but when they realized the water was warm.... I can say there was a whole different attitude. And after the bath~ they just fell in love with my blow dryer [​IMG] They didn't want me to stop! LOL had to be the cutest thing ever... Here they are!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were Dafney!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were Daisy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were Dixie!