Chickies here * Update *

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StormyMoon, Jul 21, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Will baby have enough room under mom and other eggs to zip all the way around?
    Will looking under her wing harm it ? like opening the bator does?

Thanks for helping this newb

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I keep watching moms face from far away, she stops clucking and looks under her. I see her now and then turning her head side to side listening.
    This is so exciting.....no more human TV for me its chicken TV from here on out..........

3. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Don't worry...momma has it under control. I would resist the urge to sneak a glance too many times. It's hard waiting, but hang in there. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The egg has plenty of room to zip. Chicks have been hatching under hens for thousands of years.

I know it is hard, but basically leave her alone and let her do her job. Interfering with her will not make anything any better and could easily make things a lot worse.

Congratulations, btw.

5. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Thanks, I just heard peeping she is in the bed room I can see her from my desk I just keep an eye on her from far away.

6. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a hen I found out in the yard on a nest she made right in the dirt, half under a pile of brush.
    I needed to burn the brush so I had to move her.
    All those nice nest boxes her sisters use and she has to make a nest in the dirt, in the rain.

She was sitting on about ten eggs and I didn't know how long she had been on them...so no due date.
    She was the hardest one to move I ever had. I had to lock her in a nest to make her sit on them again.
    She was off them for about three hours...however...
    Yesterday morning when I went out to check...there was peeping from her nest.

That's how I know my broodys have hatched...the peeping. Eight chicks, and she continued to sit on two eggs.
    I tend to leave my broodys alone...I don't candle. All of them hatch out on their due date.
    The hens do a lot better than I do with an incubator.

7. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I did candles these all looked really good but on the 18th I didnt candle any more. I have only taken 1 from her it was very clear after 2 weeks and 1 she cracked when she first got in her nest so she is down to 10 eggs total she had 12.

I just heard a few more peeping at the same time but I can't be certain the number between them its not a frantic peep just a relaxed lazy peep all together kind of like they are having a conversation.

8. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Update: 9:39 PM central time

# 1 Chick died it was smashed
    # 2 Chick alive dark - Dark Brahma - feathered legs
    # 3 Chick alive white - with some markings I got a better look it has feathered legs so its a Light Brahma
    # 4 Chick alive Yellow - not sure yet
    # 5 Chick alive Yellow - not sure yet

# 6 Pipped not doing anything right now
    # 7 Pipped not doing anything
    # 8 Pipped not doing anything
    # 9 Pipped not doing anything
    # 10 Pipped not doing anything

Edit, I have a list of what they are I will have to wait till all are here before I touch any.

this is the list I was given:

Light Brahma
    Dark Brahma
    Orpington
    Black Australorp
    New Hampshire Red

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  9. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    That is so EXCITING!!! [​IMG] I hope all goes well, congrats! [​IMG]
    I am going to start my eggs in the bator Monday Morning!! I can't wait !! I am waiting on a few more eggs to be laid!!

[​IMG]

10. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:yea it is very exciting ! thank you [​IMG]

Its loud in here I thought they would sleep through the night lol but they are up chirping I am afraid to look and see if the # 5 chick came out all the way.
    I will check on them before I go to bed one last time and then let Hen 2 take care of them she has done a perfect job so far.
    Hen 1 is resting on her 12 non pipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by