Chickies made it through a 12 hour power outage!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hollywood Hen, May 8, 2011.

1. Hollywood Hen

Hollywood Hen Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    The power went out yesterday, and tiny cheeps of protest were heard...so the chicks came in from the big brooder to a smaller tub in the kitchen, near the stove with the pilot light.

I had four empty 1.75 liter vodka bottles (I had just made a big batch of limoncello the day before [​IMG] ), so we filled them up with hot water, wrapped them in towels, and laid them side by side to fill up the bottom of the brooder. The chicks snuggled in happily on their "waterbed", and were warm and happy again. The large thermal mass meant that the brooder stayed at a good temperature for about 6 hours before I had to add more hot water.

Power's back this morning! Everybody made it through the night healthy and happy.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well done! Glad they all made it. We have a lot of power outages, I save jugs and bottles just for that occasion.

Hmmmm, almost time for another bottle of vodka..... how do you make Limoncello?

3. austinandkara

austinandkara Out Of The Brooder

Good improvising with the hot bottles and towels. Glad to hear all the chicks made it through safe [​IMG]

4. kickenChickens

kickenChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Augusta
    Wow that proves it! Neccessity is the mother of all invention!
    absolutly ingenious!
    Atleast the vodka did your chicks some good! [​IMG]

5. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    I have some hot water bottles ready for mine just incase :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by