Chickies throwing straw at me!

Mackie n chicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Banffshire, Scotland
When I check on my chickens at night to lock them in there used to be two who picked up a piece of straw and threw it at me as if to say 'go away we're sleeping' now they all do it-it's like they've spoken to each other and decided that I will go away if this happens. Does anyone know the real reason why this happens?

lau.gif
ive never seen this behaviour in my flock only scratching it out looking for food but if their picking it up and throwing it at you maybe your on to something !! lol

Hi - some of the chickens do and some don't - I've been continually trying to put them on their roosts but they are very stubborn and sneak straight off. Do you think it's something to do with the ones not on the roosts? thinking about it it does seem that the ones stubbornly on the ground are the ones throwing the straw-any idea why?

I have no idea why they do that, but it got a pretty good chuckle out of me picturing it. Don't put anything heavy in there that they could hurt ya with !

Mine started out sleeping on the floor and sleeping in the nest boxes.. after two days I opened it up at night and physically moved them to the roost. Now they all sleep on the same roost and I nailed all but on nest box shut...

No problems since that... took about three days of training

Haha they wanted private sleeping accommodations. Mine all slept on the floor for quite a while. I left them alone and over time they decided the roosts were better.

I know - I think they are all just spoilt and the straw is a tantrum! the boys show me more respect! my little lads have never thrown straw at me! the chicks could learn a thing or two from the cockerels! Looks it may be back to late nights trying to get them back on the roosts - although I also think it may be they are scared of the strong winds we have this winter-they all like to sleep huddled together. We have had to rope the coops to the fences! 50mph is the average at the moment-looking forward to the spring! Alternatively I could put them in coops of chocolate so at least they can throw things I like! hehehe!

Back
Top Bottom