Chickin Pickin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eecoman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. eecoman

eecoman New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    One of my three hens is losing feathers on the front of her neck and on her tail. They have been together for almost a year with no issues but now I think the other hens are picking on her and pulling out her feathers. Why would their behavior change? I have not really observed them picking on her neck and tail but they do bully her when I am around. Would there be any other reason for these feathers to be coming out? The other birds are fine. I have smeared vaseline on the picked out areas hoping that would be discouraging to the pickers. Any other ideas to prevent chickin pickin?

Tim

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. It may not or may not be picking. If they are enclosed in a confined area, as in their house, it could be picking and need more space. It could be lice or mites, you need to visually do a close eye inspection of your hens especially around their vent area. If a hen is going broody, they will pluck feathers out of their breast area and line their nest. So, it's possible you could have a broody. One last thing, this is the time of the year that chickens usually go into moult, that also could be a reason to lose feathers. Take your pick (no pun intended lol.) Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by