Chicks 1st night outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, I feel so bad!!! It's 8:30 and they are chirping away out there. They got better after the lights came on.....I have 40 feet of rope light down one side of the pickett for my ducks. For a night light kind of thing since they are scared when it's completely dark. Also my 4 ducks were laying next to their pen comforting them I guess.

The oldest chicks are 5 wks old. My middle bedroom was trashed from them kicking aspen out. Holy cow at the feathers!!! I'm guessing the white powder that covered everything was from the DE in the food and them kicking it around. It's small room but it took me over 2 hours to clean it.
    They are set up in my ducks yard off my deck so when I go out with the dogs I have to be very quiet b/c if they hear me they start up. Poor guys:( They'll get use to it. I just hate the 1st few nights.

2. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Be strong Bisqit&Gravy, be strong lol

Those 13 eggs in the bator, are they snake eggs?

3. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    The first nights are always the hardest. Good luck! Just keep telling yourself "this too will pass" :)

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, I'm being strong. They finally settled down and got in the crate I gave them with hay in it. I don't close my guys up at night b/c of the electric fence that surrounds the outside of both yards. It hits hard too as I found out a few times....burned my leg...OUCH!!
    What's gonna be harder is when I have to sell them since I can't keep em all:-( I am keeping 3:)

Yep, those eggs are snakes...corn snakes:) They have all hatched and had the 1st meal. Which reminds me I gotta get pinkies tomorrow b/c it's feeding day.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I moved my chicks out 6 weeks ago. I felt bad for them, it seems like such a big move from lighted brooder to dark coop. Of course, not five minutes after I move the last one in did the fireworks start going off. I had no idea it was fireworks night in town. So, the poor chicks had to listen to explosions in the dark their first night. They survived, your's will be fine too. [​IMG]

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Bisqit&Gravy :

Yeah, I'm being strong. They finally settled down and got in the crate I gave them with hay in it. I don't close my guys up at night b/c of the electric fence that surrounds the outside of both yards. It hits hard too as I found out a few times....burned my leg...OUCH!!
    What's gonna be harder is when I have to sell them since I can't keep em all:-( I am keeping 3:)

Yep, those eggs are snakes...corn snakes:) They have all hatched and had the 1st meal. Which reminds me I gotta get pinkies tomorrow b/c it's feeding day.

Did they go into their crate on their own or did you have to put them in it? When I moved mine outside I had to show them where to go, and then they didn't go in, so we had to wait until nearly dark and put them in. It took 3 nights before they started going in on their own.​

7. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    I showed them where it was and kept putting one by one in there. The 1st night they spent piled up on eachother next to it. But the 2nd night, they got in it b/c it started raning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by