Chicks 2-3weeks old

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Massimo, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Massimo

Massimo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    Sydney
    Hi there

I'm new on this forum

I have in bird cage 2 chicks, about 2-3weeks old.
    They are always full of life and with very good appetite.
    For my kids are the perfect pets to look after,and hopefully one day they laying a few eggs.

When is the best time to put them in the coop outside?
    At moment in the night time I locate them in my garden shed, and day time they can enjoy the sunlight outside.

Thanks
    Max

2. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    They will need to be warm and under a warm light. They should be fully feathered before going outside into the coop. As the winter nears, its a good idea to make sure they have a source of heat, or some good insulation to snuggle into, like straw or hay.

I keep my chicks under a brooder lamp until they are 5-8 weeks, or the ambient temperature is above 45 F at night. Since its getting cold these days, depending on where you live, you might consider getting them a heat lamp for their permanent home. I would not put them out suddenly either when they are fully feathered. I would get them used to the cold in stages. Otherwise they can become stressed which can make them sick.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  3. Massimo

Nov 1, 2013
    Sydney
    Thanks for all you suggestion.

I live in Australia and now is almost summer time.
    Are u think till they are a least 6weeks you don't suggest to put them outside?

Thanks

4. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    As long as they are fully feathered and the temperatures are around 6-10 C at night they should be fine [​IMG]

5. Massimo

Nov 1, 2013
    Sydney
    Oh yes. In Sydney in night time is between 15-18c.

Thanks[​IMG]

6. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    If its that warm at night, you could go as early as 4 weeks! I should move to Australia....its 3C here...and it was a warm night for November! haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by