Chicks 2 coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shane17, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    I have been planning on getting 6-8 chicks on Feb.27 when they arrive at a local TSC. Now I'm debating if the temps outside here in Central Va will warm enough for there move too the coop which I would project around April 1. Temps here literally can range from day time highs in 70's to day time highs of 40's. Every spring is like that here. Its just year to year... day to day around here. I can run a lamp and extension cord to the coop if absolutely needed. I just rather not. I'm just weird about that! So far winter had been really mild so I'm leaning on it may warm into a early spring. Suggestions?[​IMG]

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    If you get them Feb 27, your chicks will only be about 5 weeks old by April 1st. They'll still need a constant temp of about 70 F at that age.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you check around on here, you'll find that many people get them outdoors earlier than what is usually considered the fully feathered age of 6 to 8 weeks. I'd suggest you take them outdoors for periods of time while they are growing up so they will be acclimated sooner. Things like plenty of hay to snuggle into at night will help. They do need warmth and protection when young, but I've seen broody raised chicks sleep out from under mama at 4 weeks without a problem and without any heat, well below 70 degrees.

4. Shane17

Jan 14, 2012
    Ok..I have asked other people I know with chickens and it seems if u ask 5 people you can get 5 different answers. Temps here will probably not be a constant 70+ here in early April. Night temps likely in 40-50's. So I guess I will stick with my plan and see how they do when moved outside. [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There are as many opinions as chicken owners - especially on this topic.
    As was said earlier, a broody doesn't keep the chicks at the rule of thumb temps. i.e. 95/90/85/80 et al. They stay under her for a couple days and after that they spend lots of time running around outside regardless of weather. They run under her to warm up and then run around the yard again.

I always brood in an unheated building. I provide a heat lamp or two depending on age and how many I have. They have lots of cool space and move in and out of the heat at will.
    IMO, able to find their comfort zone they are hardier and feather more quickly.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Hello neighbor! I thought I would chime in......I just moved my 2 week old chicks outside a couple days ago. I put them out with 2 100 watt incandescent bulbs, and they've been doing great! The temp under the lamps is 87° at the opposite end of ny hutch the thermometer is reading 45° and they're happy as can be, moving throughout the entire brooder. They've also had an EXPLOSION of feathers since they moved outside. So, I would suspect your chicks will be a.o.k outside in April. Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Greene County, pretty close to C'ville ;)

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's where I raised my hatch. They had a heat source for about 4 weeks. This was in Feb. last year. Their your birdies do what you feel is right for them. They will learn to adapt & feather out quicker if they live in the environment that surrounds them[​IMG]

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I found this to be true - my araucana chicks were NOT feathering out in the house at a balmy 68 degrees, but when I put them outside they started growing feathers like it was their job.

9. Shane17

Jan 14, 2012

Hey thanks for the info...I fill better now. Im sure they will be fine and adjust! Im in the lower end of King & Queen county about 30 minutes east of Richmond. We can be at UVA in about 2 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by